• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Other Than *Parrot Feathers* - I got a chicken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
Oh my goodness, it seems birds come to me in twos! I got Bayu and Cah'ya a couple of months apart in '08, then Dan Deacon and Yodit a couple of months apart in '09, and now Zuma and Henrietta a couple of months apart in '10!

Henrietta is a chicken that was given to me by a client of mine a few days ago. I'd been thinking about getting a couple of chickens this fall, when my roommate moves out and I take over the lease, but apparently that thought slipped out of my head and into the universe and the universe responded a little prematurely! She is very sweet and friendly but VERY underweight and undersized, so now it's my job to fatten her up. Won't be hard! She's a voracious eater!

Here are some pictures of her:

I'm already totally in love with her!

K&J Birds

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
J.T.
The universe gave you one heck of a chicken!! congrats!!!!! :D

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:huh: Are these Bantams? Holiday happens to love very fiesty chickens.:D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on her!

Matt

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Congrats, what a lovely chicken! :D

Quest

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Judy
She's a pretty lady!:heart:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh wow, she is stunning!

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
Lovely chicken it was good of you to take her.

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
She's actually not fiesty at all. She's very sweet and friendly. She scared the life out of me yesterday afternoon, though, because I went outside and she was laying on her side, her legs were all sprawled out and her toes were curled underneath, her wing was kind of sagging down to the side, and her neck was all stretched out, eyes closed. I really thought she was dead. She looked dead. So I gasped, because it scared me, and her eyes popped open, her head popped up and she was like, "...cluck?" LOL! She sounded really confused! She jumped up, walked over to me, and looked up at me like, "What? What's your deal? I was totally napping and you woke me up! What is your PROBLEM???" I started laughing so hard because she looked so confused and irritated and *I* had been so scared. Well... it was much funnier to experience than to try to relate via words.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
they look like that when they are sunning - scared me to death the first couple of times I saw it too - and sometimes it will still catch me off guard and I want to run out and make sure everyone is ok\

she looks like a game chicken vs a 'regular' chicken (maybe a cross between the two?)

and they are leggier and skinnier than the standard ones

she is gorgeous and congrats!!!

I have an easter egger game cross of some sort that thinks she is a dog - she comes running when I call them, will run in the kitchen whenever the door opens and lines up with the pups for bites :D

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
Yes, now I've seen her doing that a couple of times, and I've noticed that she's always sunning crop side up. I think it helps her digest her food better.

Yeah, I have no idea what kind of chicken she is. She was a stray that wandered up to my clients' house and wouldn't go away, no matter how many times my client tried to put her back out. But *her* chickens were trying to kill Henrietta (you can see blood blisters on her comb in the photos; those have since healed), so she gave her to me. Henrietta's keel was a blade--literally no fat or muscle on it that I could feel--so I suspect that she'd been homeless for a while before she wandered up to my clients' house.

At any rate, she's doing well. Eating lots. Gaining weight. And yes, she follows me around like a dog. If I squat down, she runs up to me and lets me pet her. It's very charming.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
they look like that when they are sunning - scared me to death the first couple of times I saw it too - and sometimes it will still catch me off guard and I want to run out and make sure everyone is ok\

she looks like a game chicken vs a 'regular' chicken (maybe a cross between the two?)

and they are leggier and skinnier than the standard ones

she is gorgeous and congrats!!!

I have an easter egger game cross of some sort that thinks she is a dog - she comes running when I call them, will run in the kitchen whenever the door opens and lines up with the pups for bites :D
haha, our chickens think that too, LOL! They come running to the window or wherever our voice is coming from, haha! We have 23 chickens and we have had pet chickens for about 9 years, they are awesome pets.

brianimal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
HAHA thats hilarious! chickens are such funny animals I would love to have a bunch of chickens one day :):chickendance:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Wow she is a pretty chicken!

Status
Not open for further replies.