• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oregano and Basil

Status
Not open for further replies.

feebee

Jogging around the block
hey guys i have organic dried oregano and basil i have found that oregano is bird safe, what about basil? do you guys mix in with other foods? are they ok for my budgie?

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
Found this online...

I wouldn't recommend chives or other onion-type things. They can be dangerous in other animals, and not investigated well in birds. Basil and parsley are probably ok in moderation, but in my experience most birds don't care for either, including birds who love all other greens. I have found that one of the most popular are carrot tops, my personal birds really love them. Most cockatiels also like rainbow chard, kale, raddcichio, endive, and all the fancy mixed greens. So in summary I think that there are more nutritious and likable things to chose than basil and parsley.

Expert: Dr. Pat Pos. Feedback: 98.0 %Accepts: Answered: 8/12/2009Bird Veterinarian

20 years working primarily with birds; also experience with herps, fish, invertebrates, wildlife.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I grow basil in the gardens for the birds....I chop it very find and add it to their fresh foods...they love it!
In the winter, I use dried basil:hug8:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Never tried basil, but my budgies really like parsley. Maybe they're just weird. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I add a huge variety of spices to my birds birdie bread;basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, cayenne powder, cinnamon powder, parsley crums and flakes and about 5 others that I cant think of right now.

hanife

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
hanife esengil
parsley for birds is toxic.

i have no idea, what is inspiring everyone in the following postings to try any which spice or veggie for their birds. while parsley is very healthy for humans, it's POISON for birds. you are extremely lucky that your birds are still healthy or around if you've been regularly feeding them parsley.

DONT. please don't feed them anything without consulting a bird manual or some sort of valid published dietary suggestions for birds, instead of going with what you think is healthy based on human food--this reminds me of the unknowing people who tried to feed hummingbirds jambajuice (cos they thought it was fruity liquid) before dropping the VERY sick bird to the shelter i was working in.

you may have the best intentions, but you will cause the WORST problems if you don't read up and make sure your birds are not feed unseemingly poisonous foods (parsley, avocado, chocolate, etc).

hanife

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
hanife esengil
i'm sorry if i'm emailing you twice by mistake.---please read any bird manual--parsley is a bird toxin. do not feed your budgies this disguised lethal food.
it's great for humans, but horrible for parrots.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
i'm sorry if i'm emailing you twice by mistake.---please read any bird manual--parsley is a bird toxin. do not feed your budgies this disguised lethal food.
it's great for humans, but horrible for parrots.
I appreciate your concerns. We all want the best for our birds. Do you have any references regarding the toxicity of parsley?

Everything I find says it's a very healthy food for them:

birdnways.com . Parsley is not toxic to birds and can be fed in moderation without any problem. It is a good source of iron, beta carotene and vitamins B1, B2 and C. Parsley contains most of the amino acids that are the "building blocks" of protein. Medicinal benefits: Parsley is useful as a blood purifier. It detoxifies harmful contaminants, promotes healthy skin and feathers, tones the digestive system, prevents kidney ailments and treats arthritis. It also acts as a natural antibiotic.

itsagreysworld.com list of safe veggies ... Dandelion Greens, Swiss Chard, Kale, Parsley, Basil, Cooked Red Potatoes, Peeled and Steamed Squash...

Status
Not open for further replies.