• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Order of Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Grew up with always having a budgie and replacing them when they usually died of old age.
Did not buy my first African Grey until I retired from a very busy working life, where there would have been no time or place for a bird.
Then along came all the re-home, and fostered birds that were in dire need of someone to look after them.
So it was Leroy the 9yrold Grey as a baby.
Scooby as a 4yr old re-home.
Rambo 4yr old abused and mistreated,very poorly Timneh Grey.
Chaz 8yrold hybrid Macaw fostered.
Jay 13yr old Blue fronted Amazon fostered.
Love your thread by the way. Very interesting. :hug8:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
As a child, my dad was always getting birds of some sort but for whatever reason, I wasn't all that interested in them. We did finches, budgies, 'tiels, even a Quaker and a pigeon. As an adult, I spent a year trying to decide which kind of bird I wanted and finally got a TAG and from there, I just kind of stayed in the same general size range with Reggie D2, Cooper SIE, Taco SIE, and Clancy CAG. I have to say that I'm completely smitten with the Pois but I don't trust Tuchis TAG not to eat them...sigh...

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

somewhere I have a pic where he has blue ink all over him :rofl:
Jill, Reggie Lou had a penchant for black ink pens for quite a while and I always used to tease that he'd end up looking like a Jersey cow if I didn't catch him quickly enough!:) I have a few pics as well. They are silly little guys aren't they?

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Hmmm...

When i was two or three, i had a blue budgie named Charlie who was my best friend..

Between that time and from when i was like.. probably 6, i had 4 teils, a BFA, and a Too. (the bfa a and the too were only with us for a few months.. but thats a story for another time! i dont remember them once..) and then we had 3 budgies, Freckles, Snowy, and Cheech.

And then we got Cookie and Toc at the same time! :)

Ohh, and we also had chickens! xD

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
Well I dived straight in with the large macaws with Lucy so I dont have a whole lot of room to go larger. But I do really love the greenwings and hys...

Cydney

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cydney
My family jumped into the parrot pool with our Caique, Linus, who still lives with my parents. I got Finn (parrotlet, rest his little soul) when I went to college. I sadly lost him to seizures (the vet suspects inbreeding) and Kai came this recent January. There really hasn't been an order, though a larger bird really wouldn't work in the apartment.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Sunny ----> Tiki ----> Koko ----> Rocky :heart:

My MBS occurred in 2's 4 yrs. apart. :D

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Sunny was your first bird?
I would imagine IRNs could make a good first parrot in some ways and not in some ways as well.

Logo you jumped to the Macaws,,,,,,brave brave.:highfive:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I thought this was going to be a math question... LOL

I started with only budgies as a kid, when my last baby girl died, I couldn't get another budgie for awhile. She was everything I wanted and more and it wouldn't have been fair to another. SO I decided it was time for a bigger guy....mini-macaw Honu. Then I went back down in size again to a budgie and Black-Capped....then up in size to a Grey....then back down to 3 more budgies.

Guess there's no method to my madness :shrug3:

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I started with a budgie when i was about 8, she died when she was three. My impatience led me to budgie 1, then 2, untame adult budgies (rather than wait a month or two for a baby) which led to more and more, and then i started breeding them. I got an aviary to house them all. :p Blinkie is the baby of an old breeding pair of mine (i was 15 when he hatched), then i got Ozzie for company. At a bird sale i decided cockatiels were awesome, so i got Cookie for my 17th birthday. Bailee came along a few months later as company. Gracie was a rehome. Snickers and Elsie are babies (different clutches) of Cookie and Bailee. So i feel like budgies to tiels is a common step "up" with birds. Green cheeks were my step into "exotic" species, and i got Zoe for my 19th b'day. Savvy has only been here a month and a half, and unless a 'zon falls into my life somehow i would say i'm done. Oh, lets not forget little Boo (one of the budgies i've just finished handrearing), he's inside too. ;)

M

M.C Bird Rescue

My Story:

I had 2 cockatiels growing up, back when cockatiels were only eating seed with mostly sunflower seeds and noone was the wiser. They passed away at the age of 10 years old.
When I was an adult I really wanted a cockatoo , I found 1, a goffins named Uriel I bought from a woman in Ohio. The woman had cancer and just wanted a good home for him because he was her baby, she sold him to me dirt cheap...he was my baby and I loved him. 2 months later she emailed me and gave me this sob story about how she missed him and he would give her a reason to get up everyday. I was young..18. I fell for it. 1 month later she sold him off for a higher price.
At thanksgiving time she called me and said god wanted me to buy him again. I said no.
I decided then that rescue was what I should be doing. I have always taken in everything, I volunteered at the big rescues, got some great experience, and then started rehabbing. My first real rehab was a grey, then tiels, and cockatoos, then more and more and more. Along the way a few have stole my heart and they have stayed.
I have purchased 1 baby from a breeder, my sons love bird.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I got a cockatiel when I was 13, that was my first bird, then I got another 1 the next year, then the same year that I got the second cockatiel, I got a sun conure, and then later the same year, I got another sun conure, and then I got another pair of tiels, about a year after getting my conures, and then I got Sammy. Then my pair of tiels had 2 babies and I kept those also, hehe!

luvconique

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jeni
Had budgies as a child, then a pair of doves in my teens.

I didn't get Jack (lovebird) until I was 40! About 10 mos later I got Chino (gcc), then 8 mos ago came Nokomis (caique). Gremaldo is my newest, he's Jack's older brother, and came to me about 2 mos ago.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I did it all wrong, lol. I started off with my Mealy (had budgies and cockatiels many years ago as a small child) Amazon. It shocked me the first time I took him to our current vet, he was training a new vet assistant and said "This is not a bird for beginners" to her while showing her how to safely restrain for wing clip/nail trim. I had to laugh and explain that for me, Chico was a perfect beginners bird. :) Here's my order

Mealy Amazon
Sun Conure
Greater Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Peach Faced Lovebird
Senegal
Mexican Red Headed Amazon
Rainbow Lorikeet
Green Cheek Conure
Timneh African Grey
Black Headed Caique
Hahns Macaw

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The only bird I ever actually wanted was Scummo our first bird (Tiel). All the rest over the years just found their way here. I found good homes for most of them. Some came in such bad shape that they did not live long enough to find them homes. A few stayed and lived a full life here. They were all mostly small birds so it wasn't that hard to look after quite a few at a time. Back then not too many people had big birds around here and there still aren't. Once people know you are a bird person they really start to try and dump their unwanted birds on you. Sad but true.

Then we rescued Tika. It was a whole different ballgame after that. When Amanda showed up we decided that they would need most of our attention and time. Especially with Tika's issues.

We decided to draw a line in the sand. Instead of taking anymore in we always try to work with the people to change their views and help them "keep" their birds and do right by them. Of course we would never turn down a bird that really needed "out" of their situation but we are rather lucky that bird problems up here are not even remotely as bad as down in the US or in Eastern Canada.

Tika's issues have pretty well been resolved and Amanda has always been a great bird that just needed a home. So things are rather good around here now and we may take in a few more if they come along but we don't actively look for them.

We love and want any bird that comes our way but they are all the same in our eyes. "Birds" that need us.

Last edited:

Patrick

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patrick
My mother HATES birds. When my parents got divorced I begged and begged for a bird and she finally gave in....This is where the chaos started....

I got a budgie and named him Boo Boo. I thought he was lonely so I got him a friend and named her Yogi.
I wanted something bigger so I got a tiel. Popcorn(he's 8 now)
Then came my OWA, Junior, as a christmas present.
Then came Skittles, Sun Conure, my baby boy
Then came Cheeto, White Capped Pi- who found a home with a very special guy in NC(who hopefully will be joining AA soon! yay!
Then came Emma, BFA, my baby girl
Then came Butter, tiel, Popcorn's buddy
And soon will be coming Micah!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Well I rescue Sapphire, my house sparrow, from an egg. And then I got a couple of finches, and budgies and then a Starling. If we had the money I wouldve gotten a bigger bird.. maybe.. But then years later, when I was 16, I got the chance to adopt an Umbrella cockatoo, BOKKA. :) I had did a lot of research before adopting/rescuing Bokka :) But I went from someone who did miimal handraising work on budgies/cockatiels/conures, and raising finches and rescuing wild birds, to getting Bokka. Im glad I didnt do the whole "size" thing. Working my way up. But after Bokka was when I really got into BIG birds :)

Status
Not open for further replies.