• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Order of Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
So, many of you have multiple birds, and I was just wondering if you followed an "order" when getting them. Like did you get a small one (budgie, 'tiel, etc.), then a bigger one (conure, Quaker, etc.) and then eventually work your way up to a big one (grey, macaw, 'too, etc.)?

What order did you get your fids in?
I want to know! :D

I got Peanut first, then Apple. ;)

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
AJ, when we started over 20 years ago, it was spur of the moment decisions...Boggie, BFA, was the first big bird (I had at that time 6 Keets) and about 7 months later, we cut Sammy, B&G, out of a cage in a pet store and brought him home with NO cage...both Boggie & Sammy didn't have cages for 5 years...lived on tree branches in the house...
I never knew what Poppa was going to bring me home...
Then people started showing up on my door with their birds and giving them to us and it has gone from there....People call/email and ask us to take their birds and it can be all different types.... We learned as we went because the Internet didn't have that much info or it was hard to find...
People now are so much more informed or at least trying to be....:hug8:

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
I got my first bird when I was 11 from my Grandma. He was a little Zebra finch.. Then all hell broke loose. Since then I moved up to Cockatiels. Later, I decided to get my first large bird, Koba. :) So I went from small, to large within many years.

trout

Real Name
Bobby
I went in order like that, but not on purpose.
If I ever get another bird it would likely be smaller.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I don't think i went in any order , it was more of just what type of bird I wanted at the time

when i first got my birds I couldn't make up my mind if i wanted a Budgie or a Quaker , but finally decided I wanted a Quaker - couldn't find any available so I got a budgie, in May 2007 Then in July 2007 I got Billy(Quaker) from a member of a Quaker Forum who was moving and couldn't take him with her.

then it escalated from there, got some tiels, more budgies, more Quakers, then some lovebirds Fostered a couple Cockatoos got a Quaker with them, then conures , then some more lovebirds, then an Indian Ringneck

there were pigeons in there some where but can't remember what they came after/before

and its hard to tell what my next species will be if any new species at all.

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Well, I got my first budgie when I was 4. He escaped when I was 9 (I was absolutely devastated :().

Then I got a 'tiel at 18, and a TAG at 23, not long after that all hell broke loose with some very unexpected major life changes happening over the next couple of years and I ended up having to rehome the two when, eventually, I migrated to Australia. Again it broke my heart :( but at least I knew their new mum and dad (relatives of relatives) and I knew they had a good home to go to.

Then a 20 year break and now I was ready for hopefully this time a long and happy life for Ceddy with me!!! :heart:

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Millie (living with my parents now), Mia, Owen (living with Millie at my parents), Libby, parakeets, Scooby (a rehomed Blue Crown Conure that passed away from Fatty Liver Disease a little bit after I took him in), Kiwi (who has no found the love of her life with a man named Chris!!), Summer,cockatiels, Gus :)

I'm DONE for a while now!!! Especially with the new job... I'm at max capacity!

TikisMom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
I had a few budgies when I was about 13 they all died... all were from a store like wal-mart lol

I bought a cockatiel from a breeder,
adopted 2 other cockatiels from an older couple,
and bought a petstore lovebird.
One night while I was at a friends my parents left my windows open in my room it got cold, and my favorite cockatiel died.
(he was the only one, weird huh)

Shortly after another cockatiel died he was really old and blind by then.
My lovebird was too loud and parents made me give him away.
about a year after that my third cockatiel died because our house flooded and they had to run really hot heaters in it and at the time I was staying at my boyfriends house for 2 weeks, and even though my mom said she would put her in the coolest room and take care of her, she still died somehow. I don't even know what happened.

Then I got a quaker, I took him with me anytime I went out since all my animals seemed to die when I was away..
But then came age 18 and it was time to move out and I moved to two different states and had to rehome him.

My parents weren't very involved with my birdkeeping I suppose.

Now I am 21 on my own still in Alabama, far from where I started in Michigan. And I just got Tiki last month.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I went from littlest to biggest Tiel, Quaker, IRN, Pionus, Cockatoo.

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Oh gosh...I'm gonna have to think about this one...LOL

Dove
Blue Headed Pionus
Senegal
Budgies
Goffins
CAG
Lovie
Parrotlet
Moluccan
Budgie
Jenday Conure

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My first bird was a cockatiel, Magic. he was an awesome little dude and a great friend for many years. My sister had one as well an they had babies that we co-parented. Tiels were a wonderful way to start.

My next bird was Rasta, a goffin cockatoo. :omg: you would just flip if you saw the cage they sold us... He lived primarily cage free and yes, he did some MASSIVE destruction in that room :rofl: He was my very best friend and I still miss him a great deal.

After Rasta came Coke-a-moe, my sennie who is still with me (he is 16 and I got him as a baby).

After that it all sorta just exploded... I was working at a pet shop and people brought in birds they didnt want and I would take them (sometimes a fee, sometimes not). Then Lancelot came along, and i quickly realized... this is too much to handle. I ended up buying MORE birds to go with some that I had been given (primarily Amazons) and set them up together. My first intent was to breed but that didnt come to be (except for one pair of DYH amazons).

Now it is more or less a sanctuary of sorts. almost everyone has a buddy and none are breeding pairs. I am at MAX capacity with the birds I have, for sure.

Setting them up together freed me up a lot, they have a great life and I have more time to focus on the 4 that are in the house with us (Coke, Cassius, Cyan and Lancelot). The others have "flights" loaded with things to do plus a companion (in most cases). Some still get a lot of hands on, others not so much because they are not "people" birds, but rather enjoy the company of their buddies.

Last edited:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Dawn you went in all sorts of ways, bigger, littler and then sideways a bit then back big and then back down to little. :lol:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I just had a few finches for a while (39) then I just jumped right in the deep end and with out any lessons got a cockatoo :dancing:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Do tell my friend.:D
LOL! He was mostly VERY well behaved (especially considering this is a COCKATOO we're talking about). He would destroy anything that took attention away from him (but he'd wait till I was out of the room). TV romote, game controllers, pens that I drew with (somewhere I have a pic where he has blue ink all over him :rofl:) But the real kicker is when my dad took me on a week-long houseboat trip. Rasta Pasta was NOT happy and "left his mark" on every shutter, baseboard, moulding around the doors... when I came home my mom said go LOOK what YOUR bird did! She was less than happy :o: I loved that silly boy though, he did 1,000's in damages but I just had to smile and laugh because he missed me that much :p Miss that naughty boy :(

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Cynthia you really did, and you made it through the other side. Nice going. :highfive:

Jill he sounded like he was a wild man and he sure missed you on that houseboat trip! lol

No doubt your parents were not pleased at all! <YIKES>

Status
Not open for further replies.