• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Orca: Taming Journal

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
My advice? Stop seeking advice from this breeder.
It makes me so sad, but she has no clue what she is talking about. Sounds like she's in it for the money, and is telling people what they want to hear and has a lot of misinformation.
Maybe I shouldn't assume, but I just did. :shifty:

Especially if you think this person swindled you on the birds age, they've already proven they cannot be trusted and they are giving you downright bad advice on bonding.
The first bit of advice you got is something called "flooding." It doesn't teach a bird to trust, it teaches them to surrender helplessly to a situation, give up, but causes fear and distrust. Judging from your own posts, you figured this out on your own. It's just not the way to go about taming and creating trust, trust takes patience and time and there is no fast track.
Except for a few very special cases, birds who bond instantly, there is no quick way to tame a fearful bird.

Dominance, in birds (and in my opinion, animals like dogs too) is complete and utter bull. There is no alpha. There is no getting him to submit and suddenly be tame by forcing him onto his back. :(
I can't imagine why this person's birds are terrified of hands. *blatant sarcasm*

Has Orca been to see a vet yet? While it can be very hard to tell a bird's age they can at least ballpark it and can usually tell you how old a bird isn't.
I don't know much about eye ring species, but I know some peach faced mutations do not have black on their beak as babies. Maybe he naturally doesn't have that trait, maybe he really is older, but that's something you could look into? Or did you already? I guess I could too. :)

6 months is still a baby, and even elder birds can learn to love and trust us with time. You absolutely can make this work, even if you were lied to.
Just remember love, trust, patience, and respect. :hug8:

Edit:
Oh yeah, and for target training, if you can't get him interesting in a target try this:
Find (or make!) unsalted/bird safe peanut/almond butter, or some other sticky, tasty, thing, and at first, try sticking some millet to the target. Yams and mashed banana might work as a sticky thing.
If that won't get him interested in it, I don't know what will!

Once he associates the target with a treat, remove the treat from it and provide them on your own, with training incorporated.

Edit 2:
Gosh, this post is getting long. Sorry about that.
I've been googling black masked babies in various mutations and they don't seem to get black on their beaks as babies. I think it's possibly just a PFLB thing?
So that may not be a good gauge of his age.

Last edited:

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
Orca is so pretty :)
Good luck with the taming, I wish you lots of patience :lol:But I'm sure that in time he will come around. Sorry that the breeder lied to you- that sucks. It sounds like she may just be more interested in selling the birds and making money rather than being honest and making sure that potential owner gets a feel for what they will be working with. How is Orca around Ollie and Pico?
Unfortunately, but as expected. Orca and Ollie do not get along when one is in a cage, and the other is out. Had a few incidences where toes were bit (nothing serious). So when Ollie and Orca are BOTH out of their cages Ollie runs at him, wings raised and on the attack. Again, I sort of assumed this with lovebirds and parrotlets both being aggressive. I'll just take one out at a time for now. Maybe with time they'll be okay, but right now I'm focused on Orca's improvement with people.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
My advice? Stop seeking advice from this breeder.
It makes me so sad, but she has no clue what she is talking about. Sounds like she's in it for the money, and is telling people what they want to hear and has a lot of misinformation.
Maybe I shouldn't assume, but I just did. :shifty:

Especially if you think this person swindled you on the birds age, they've already proven they cannot be trusted and they are giving you downright bad advice on bonding.
The first bit of advice you got is something called "flooding." It doesn't teach a bird to trust, it teaches them to surrender helplessly to a situation, give up, but causes fear and distrust. Judging from your own posts, you figured this out on your own. It's just not the way to go about taming and creating trust, trust takes patience and time and there is no fast track.
Except for a few very special cases, birds who bond instantly, there is no quick way to tame a fearful bird.

Dominance, in birds (and in my opinion, animals like dogs too) is complete and utter bull. There is no alpha. There is no getting him to submit and suddenly be tame by forcing him onto his back. :(
I can't imagine why this person's birds are terrified of hands. *blatant sarcasm*

Has Orca been to see a vet yet? While it can be very hard to tell a bird's age they can at least ballpark it and can usually tell you how old a bird isn't.
I don't know much about eye ring species, but I know some peach faced mutations do not have black on their beak as babies. Maybe he naturally doesn't have that trait, maybe he really is older, but that's something you could look into? Or did you already? I guess I could too. :)

6 months is still a baby, and even elder birds can learn to love and trust us with time. You absolutely can make this work, even if you were lied to.
Just remember love, trust, patience, and respect. :hug8:

Edit:
Oh yeah, and for target training, if you can't get him interesting in a target try this:
Find (or make!) unsalted/bird safe peanut/almond butter, or some other sticky, tasty, thing, and at first, try sticking some millet to the target. Yams and mashed banana might work as a sticky thing.
If that won't get him interested in it, I don't know what will!

Once he associates the target with a treat, remove the treat from it and provide them on your own, with training incorporated.

Edit 2:
Gosh, this post is getting long. Sorry about that.
I've been googling black masked babies in various mutations and they don't seem to get black on their beaks as babies. I think it's possibly just a PFLB thing?
So that may not be a good gauge of his age.
Weird, because I know Emm (Life with Birds, comic creator) who owned Pocky and now Pepe has black masked mauve variations and both have had black on their beaks which disappeared around 4-6mos depending on the bird. :B

And don't worry about your long post, it's actually very helpful and I'm glad to see you guys are really backing me up, even when I'm frustrated. I feel this post will really help me get my frustrations out and overcome every situation.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Hey, I admitted I'm no expert. I just googled up baby pictures of both natural and mutation black masks and none really had an obvious black marking on their beak...
To me. I actually looked again and some do have what I would describe as a black ring, but it was subtle to me. I was looking for the super-obvious peach faced version where like 1/3 of their beak is black. :)

But again, I'd ask a vet about age if you were curious. If anyone could tell, that'd be the way to go.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
Hey, I admitted I'm no expert. I just googled up baby pictures of both natural and mutation black masks and none really had an obvious black marking on their beak...
To me. I actually looked again and some do have what I would describe as a black ring, but it was subtle to me. I was looking for the super-obvious peach faced version where like 1/3 of their beak is black. :)

But again, I'd ask a vet about age if you were curious. If anyone could tell, that'd be the way to go.
Yeah when I get back from my quick convention this weekend I'm going to see if a vet can give him the once over. Of course, they're not going to be too please with his "pleasant" nature. :rofl:

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I know how discouraging it can be when a bird is not as expected. Please give it a LOT of time. Not days or weeks, but months. Targeting may not work at first. It did not with my rehomed bird but eventually something will take. It took me a really long time to get through to my bird. I was totally discouraged for 4 months. I couldn't even identify a treat that he liked. Then small break throughs started occurring and a big one after one year. We are still working at things 1 1/2 years later but believe me it is totally worth it. Both my bird and I are happy. Keep trying. Take steps back. It will come. :hug8:

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
Apr 14
Orca and I do this thing I call "Chit chat". He seems to respond to the word fairly well, and get decently excited about it. So I usually tell him to chit chat and he gets talkative.

Oh! And today the boys went out in their little carriers, it was such a nice day out.

solo

Real Name
jess
what a cutie patootie and a very cleaver one at that :hug8: