• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Orange and Citrus Fruit Peels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomsde

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tom Santomartino
I was wondering if orange and other citrus fruit peels are safe to give the parrots, if they have an nutritional value? Our birds likie apples and pears and once in a while some strawberries. I think I have seen orange peels in different bird publications used for forraging.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not sure on the nutritional value. I remove all skins from fruits and veggies due to any chance of pesticides. My flock love oranges!:)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They paint peels, they shellac them, they wax them, they spray them heavily with pesticides. Not something anyone should be eating. If you offer a slice of orange to a bird that likes fruit, they eat the fruit and drop the peel once they"re done. Most of the best nutrition is just below the peel in the fruit, not in the peel itself.

And yet they make marmelade from the peels. I never did understand that.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you get organic there is less to worry about, and if you have a citrus tree in your back yard, then that's even better! Since you're in Delaware, I'm assuming that's not the case :) I don't think the peel itself is harmful, but if its not organic I would be worried about the stuff on them.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Agreed, oranges are heavily sprayed with pesticides and because the peels are like sponges it soaks it all up.

Moldybread

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marie
My parrotlet loves mandarin orange peel it; has a lot of zest & very little pith. Otherwise he rarely touches fruit. I get organic mandarins from our farmers market.

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
I didn't know about the possible parasites in the peels--I assume this is only in thick rhined fruits like citrust fruits and melons etc. No orange peels for our flock. Thanks for the insights.

Status
Not open for further replies.