• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Optimal temperature to take bird outside in?

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
Hopefully I’m posting in the correct spot if not please redirect me and I’ll post where it needs to go but anyway....
The weather is finally warming up by me and I would like to take my bird outside. I have a small cage I can put him in. I was wondering if anyone knew the what the optimal temps for a Black capped Conure would be. Like what do you think would be to hot or to cold to bring him outside??
It also would be good to know for when I need to turn the AC on in the house. If it was just me I’d say leave it off so I don’t have to pay the bill :laugh: but once it gets to hot I put it on for the dog and guinea pigs. I think 65-75 Fahrenheit is best temps for the piggies but I have to double check those numbers as well plus once you get the humidity out of the air it always feels cooler.
Thanks!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Optimal temperatures are t-shirt weather. If you can be outside in jeans and a tshirt, that's ideal. 65 to 75 is probably the best but your bird may be a little different in what they can tolerate

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
Optimal temperatures are t-shirt weather. If you can be outside in jeans and a tshirt, that's ideal. 65 to 75 is probably the best but your bird may be a little different in what they can tolerate
Cool thanks!!

Ok now for stupid question #2 lol will he still get the benefits from the sun if he’s in the shade?

Wenzer

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaitlin
Cool thanks!!

Ok now for stupid question #2 lol will he still get the benefits from the sun if he’s in the shade?
Theoretically, yes. The "amount" of benefit depends on many variables, but unless you're hiding under a thick canopy of trees with zero skylight peaking through, you'll probably get a little bit, at least :) and if the sun is extra hot it's a great alternative to the heat lol

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Cool thanks!!

Sorry, just saw this!

Yes you still get UV in the shade. UV rays reflect off objects so you'll get indirect sun instead of direct which is fine. You'll just need longer in the shade to get the same amount is all, but it's safer in a lot of ways!