• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinions on holding birds’ feet

berries

Strolling the yard
In a lot of training articles and videos I’ve been reading/watching lately it seems that the majority of people like to hold their birds foot while on a hand. None of my birds are comfortable with their feet being gripped like that so I don’t do it. Why do you hold or not hold your birds feet? Do you have any pros and cons for either method?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I have always had the impression that people who do that have not taken the time to build trust and properly tame their bird. So they force it to stay....which I think is kind of cruel. How would you feel if someone pinned you down to somewhere you didn't want to be? I think that's pretty much the same thing

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
I prefer not to, since my birds bite each others feet when they quarrel so I don't see why we should give them the impression that we want to 'bite' their feet.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I think many people would do that as extra protective measures while carrying their bird from a car to a house or something (without a harness that's foolish still but) and I think that makes sense. My Damien is perfectly fine with me touching his feet so I wouldn't worry about negative reactions with him (he actually rather enjoys having his feet stroked) so I would say it depends on the bird.

Gazimon

I still prefer not to hold. Moony sometimes doesn't mind getting his feet stroked, which I would relate to a bird grooming another bird's feet, but I would rather not risk a situation where I had to grip his feet so tightly that it hurt him... especially with how small their feet bones are and how parrots can spook from sudden stimuli. The surprise that he wanted to fly but I 'bit' him is just not worth the negative influence in trust, I feel.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Usually when parrots attack they go for the feet so a lot of parrots are sensitive about it.
I think free flighters lightly hold their birds feet when they don’t want them to fly off yet, or other people use it to make sure their parrots can’t rush up to their shoulders.
I don’t see the purpose of just holding their feet for no reason though.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
If the bird flew away while holding their toes that could really injure Them. Instead Just put Them in a travel cage or something, and in the house I would work on training instead of forcing like that:) There is a lot of misinformation around the internet, no wonder you came upon it! I think it stems from birds of prey, whose feet are really strong unlkke parrot feet, but that is Just a thought.

T. gillii

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Link
Well, I think with large birds (cockatoos, amazons, small macaws) it can be very helpful if you don't want them climbing up you. I do hold my green cheek's feet, it helps alot, especially if they get cut too short, etc. working on it with my tiel. absolutely not with my sun conure and my parakeets- too flighty.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I use to hold my M2 Zane's feet alot. He was older and his balance wasn't great so basically it was to protect him from falling. I really think it depends on the situation to whether it's a good idea or not.

Ideally you want be able to touch your bird wherever including feet, so you look them over in case something is wrong with them. I have a cockatoo so that's relatively easy for me since they like to be touched. I get it is harder for alot other species of birds.

Getting your bird use to being touched is certain ways I think is helpful and hopefully less stessful for vet exams, emergencies and general grooming like bathing and cutting/trimming nails. So I would encourage owners to work on doing certain things like accepting handling of their birds feets for nails trims and watching out for bumble foot. Just my 2 cents

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don´t ¨hold¨ any of my birds feet. I stroke Sydneys feet though, only a couple of times, I don´t want to overdo it. And I hold Adelies body while I stretch her toes out every now and then. I can´t get anywhere near Aldoras feet, no, not a chance. The others don´t mind me touching feet, but they pull their foot back after a second.

Ideally you want be able to touch your bird wherever including feet, so you look them over in case something is wrong with them.
Yes, this is so important :)

berries

Strolling the yard
I think many people would do that as extra protective measures while carrying their bird from a car to a house or something (without a harness that's foolish still but)
I have been known to walk out with a bird on my shoulder because they were being quiet and I forgot they were there. :oops2: But otherwise nobirdy goes outside before 'suiting up'.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have been known to walk out with a bird on my shoulder because they were being quiet and I forgot they were there. :oops2: But otherwise nobirdy goes outside before 'suiting up'.
Ahhhhh. If that happened to me I would be so shocked/terrified that my reaction would probably startle them, worsening the situation. :banghead: I have nightmares about situations like these.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It’s a restraint. Not a trust builder for sure.