• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinions on BirdTricks?

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
Hey guys. Personally, I am a huge fan of BT. I have never bought any of their stuff, but I watch a ton of YouTube videos! I think there is some misunderstanding here. BT never withholds food from her birds. She makes a point of not taking away their food, but instead feeing them healthier (ex not making seeds a staple in their diet) so that the parrots will crave the treats and therefore increase the value of that treat (ex sunflower seed) so they are more motivated to train. Also, they have their parrots out all the time. They are in huge aviaries outside and in the garage. But they spend most of the time with them and flying outside (they are flight trained) and I think it’s great they get to be outside in the fresh air and sunshine. I have learned a lot of great training tips. As for the commercialized aspect of their business, I get it. It’s how they make a living. Of course they are going to advertise their products.

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
As for PW, I have not watched quite as many videos. I have not heard him talk about the food witholdimg so idk. But I have learned how to teach my sun conure some tricks so he has been helpful! I don’t understand why people have such an aversion to him.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
@Pepebirdie did you actually read this link? It proves some of what you said is incorrect.
I repeat - they are charlatans and do not deserve respect from anyone. Chris has been flying birds for more than 27 years

"Here is what Chris Biro has to say about "Bird Tricks". Particularly about them staving their birds when flying them and some of the deceptive and dishonest practices they engage in.

The article is copyright protected so I cannot copy it here (as I would like to so all of the naive would see it). Here is the link to that article.
birdtricksters.com | Liberty Wings "

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hey guys. Personally, I am a huge fan of BT. I have never bought any of their stuff, but I watch a ton of YouTube videos! I think there is some misunderstanding here. BT never withholds food from her birds. She makes a point of not taking away their food, but instead feeing them healthier (ex not making seeds a staple in their diet) so that the parrots will crave the treats and therefore increase the value of that treat (ex sunflower seed) so they are more motivated to train. Also, they have their parrots out all the time. They are in huge aviaries outside and in the garage. But they spend most of the time with them and flying outside (they are flight trained) and I think it’s great they get to be outside in the fresh air and sunshine. I have learned a lot of great training tips. As for the commercialized aspect of their business, I get it. It’s how they make a living. Of course they are going to advertise their products.

You must be new to BT.... people who have been around for years, keeping birds for years, and have seen BT through the years, can testify to their shenanigans.

I will say though that the content they are putting out now is better than it was say... 15+ years ago. Goodness... it's been almost 20 years!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I will say though that the content they are putting out now is better than it was say... 15+ years ago. Goodness... it's been almost 20 years!
LOL - Monica, if they hadn't learned anything in 20 years, they were even more worthless than we thought.

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
You must be new to BT.... people who have been around for years, keeping birds for years, and have seen BT through the years, can testify to their shenanigans.

yes I am new to Bt. Maybe that's why.

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
I am sorry but I also feed healthy so that the junk food is high value, but my birds do not do baby bird behavior (head bobbing with very fluffed head feathers, wing twitching and EVEN the baby begging noise). That is just NOT normal for any bird that is getting fed appropriately. At no point should any bird be to the point of BABY BEGGING for food - it's desperate. And it's insanely too often I see their behavior in their videos. Once I decided to sit there and actually search for it, my god it was constant.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's terrible. I've only seen one of my budgies baby beg - the baby, Aurelius, & Winston did oblige (such a good budgie!). Though I'm sure Aurelius could've just gone to the dish & helped himself.

Maybe their constant food insecurity has made them generally insecure, not just hungry. :(

AlisaL

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alisa LaVine
I repeat - they are charlatans and do not deserve respect from anyone. Chris has been flying birds for more than 27 years

"Here is what Chris Biro has to say about "Bird Tricks". Particularly about them staving their birds when flying them and some of the deceptive and dishonest practices they engage in.

The article is copyright protected so I cannot copy it here (as I would like to so all of the naive would see it). Here is the link to that article.
birdtricksters.com | Liberty Wings "
This opinion from Chris Brio is more than a decade old with no updates. The Womacks have made a lot of mistakes due to their age-related hubris. I don't know a single person who didn't think they had all the answers and could do ANYTHING in their late teens and early 20s.

They still are polarized thinkers. Everything is either/or and black/white. Some of that is also age-related but also lack of education as a whole as opposed to directly relating to their bird training knowledge.

I've seen growth in them but they are a work in progress. I've watched them do great things with traumatized and abused birds.

We all should be careful of dogmatism. Outside of mathematics and physics everything exists on a spectrum of shades of gray.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know a single person who didn't think they had all the answers and could do ANYTHING in their late teens and early 20s.
I know of many people who didn't, & have worked with children & youth. Those people were humble enough to listen to others, of all ages.

If BTs truly fasted/ are fasting birds to get results, age is no excuse. Even a child knows when another being is hungry & how to cure it (food).

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@AlisaL Are you willing to risk the welfare of your bird to "shades of grey" - I'm sure as heck not. Ten years may seem like a long time to you, but it is just a wink of an eye. Twenty five years ago I spotted the BT folks as hucksters and charlatans and I have not changed my mind. They have learned little if anything in those ten years. If you want truly expert bird advice here is a list of people who have been certified with their education (for the most part) and are recognized everywhere;

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
This opinion from Chris Brio is more than a decade old with no updates. The Womacks have made a lot of mistakes due to their age-related hubris
Alisa, although I respect your post, I want to make one point on this part. If I published something on my blog and my opinion did not change — I would leave it up indefinitely with no updates. Also, I’m not sure that age has as much to do with the Womack’s “mistakes” as simply not knowing what they are doing.

Why they would attempt to (1) teach and (2) make money teaching something they don’t know much about, I have no idea. Generally when people teach, it’s because they have expertise in the field.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
This opinion from Chris Brio is more than a decade old with no updates. The Womacks have made a lot of mistakes due to their age-related hubris. I don't know a single person who didn't think they had all the answers and could do ANYTHING in their late teens and early 20s.

They still are polarized thinkers. Everything is either/or and black/white. Some of that is also age-related but also lack of education as a whole as opposed to directly relating to their bird training knowledge.

I've seen growth in them but they are a work in progress. I've watched them do great things with traumatized and abused birds.

We all should be careful of dogmatism. Outside of mathematics and physics everything exists on a spectrum of shades of gray.
Email Chris Biro and you’ll most certainly get an updated opinion.

Just over 3 years ago they told me to use food as a weapon to train my bird… they used sweeter more palatable terms but at the end of the day it meant the same thing- limit my birds food to make him a prisoner to my wishes

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

You mention a lack of education imo teaching and education are two completely different things.
This forum educates me with real experience from peoples true experience.
If you are teaching you need to have a qualification ? Well thats my thoughts.
Chemistry doesnt have shades of grey, biology doesnt have shades of grey,nature doesnt have shades of grey.

I watched a load of there videos before i got my girl and will confess to being impressed however i discovered this forum and educated myself and will do going forward.

You might say chemistry,biology and nature is all based around physics and maths but im not Stephen Hawkings so i like to simplify things.

I have been a reefkeeper for a long time and see the same kind of reckless posters on youtube who havent got a clue.

Tanked on Discovery channel was massive did they know what they where doing ?
Or was it a money making business oppertunity ?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Email Chris Biro and you’ll most certainly get an updated opinion.

Just over 3 years ago they told me to use food as a weapon to train my bird… they used sweeter more palatable terms but at the end of the day it meant the same thing- limit my birds food to make him a prisoner to my wishes
Can you not quote what they said Shez ?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you not quote what they said Shez ?
It was a FaceTime discussion I had with both of them and I didn’t write things down word for word- I just wrote basic notes on the main stuff they said, they both kept mentioning weight management and there was an example given to me about only just feeding enough food to fuel your birds so they were less likely to fly away- they know how much energy and stores they have to rely on so to keep them hungry but not starving means they’ll keep returning for tidbits/reward treats.
I don’t think I kept the notes, I was uncomfortable with what they told me. I just know I’m angry I got fooled by them and gave them money for 2 consults… lol I only ended up getting one- they’re certainly awesome sales people and I got fooled!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It was a FaceTime discussion I had with both of them and I didn’t write things down word for word- I just wrote basic notes on the main stuff they said, they both kept mentioning weight management and there was an example given to me about only just feeding enough food to fuel your birds so they were less likely to fly away- they know how much energy and stores they have to rely on so to keep them hungry but not starving means they’ll keep returning for tidbits/reward treats.
I don’t think I kept the notes, I was uncomfortable with what they told me. I just know I’m angry I got fooled by them and gave them money for 2 consults… lol I only ended up getting one- they’re certainly awesome sales people and I got fooled!
Fair play Shez

Anyone who dictates withholding food from any animal has clearly got issues you create a angry hostile animal.

I have seen it wirh reeftanks with high Po4 and algae outbreaks limit your food :bash: no up your game as the guardian of these stunning animals

And thats all we are guardians of these stunning birds who allow us into there worlds

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Just watch one of their latest videos and you will see they still do this.
She took the poor frighten budgie’s food away and only offered millet from her hand, you do not see any other food offered till the next day.
:( I was watching the whole time hoping she’d give the poor thing his food back.