• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinions on BirdTricks?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@TinyDino the kidney issues are more likely to occur in parrotlets that are either visually or split a mutation. But yes, a pellet based diet for budgies can also lead to kidney issues.

@ringotiel if your birds are eating about 50% fresh, then yes, split the rest into seeds and pellets! Pellets can be viewed as kind of like a "vitamin supplement", so if they aren't getting the nutritional needs met through the fresh foods, the pellets help to round out the necessary nutrients. That said, both species still do well with seeds, in some form, as part of their diet!

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
@Monica okay, will do! I would give my tiel some special seed dinners or seed covered chop but i will definitely give my new tiel and budgies a more balanced diet. My budgies are so picky, so it should be a fun challenge to get them to eat some better food!

Farfah

Walking the driveway
@Monica okay, will do! I would give my tiel some special seed dinners or seed covered chop but i will definitely give my new tiel and budgies a more balanced diet. My budgies are so picky, so it should be a fun challenge to get them to eat some better food!
I follow the 50/25/25 rule too for my budgies. They aren't loving the pellets right now though so it's prob closer to 50/50 with some of the seed being sprouted. I've noticed a difference in energy pretty quickly. Good luck with your budgies and tiel!

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
I follow the 50/25/25 rule too for my budgies. They aren't loving the pellets right now though so it's prob closer to 50/50 with some of the seed being sprouted. I've noticed a difference in energy pretty quickly. Good luck with your budgies and tiel!
thank you! my tiel isn’t here yet so i’ll have to figure out the whole diet thing for him in about a month or so, i actually already am getting started on my budgies! i’ve placed a bowl of pellets in there just to get them familiar with it and hopefully they’ll be enticed to look or maybe even eat it!

Najma

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Naj
Wonderful thread and kinda angry at myself for wasting money from those two Marlene Mc'cohen & BT pellets. :grumpy: Expensive tsk tsk ...
Marlene pellet wasn't good just a few seeds and nuts all of my birds rejected this pellet wholeheartedly. Somehow my lovebirds were hooked on BT pellets and on the positive side I reduced their fruit portion.
I have to agree with another poster here saying about BT making you feel bad& guilty if you don't buy her products.

Redline

Moving in
Real Name
Enua
It does make sense that a person whose career involves training birds and people along with the odd stage performance would be wanting to make money and fame, but i do question pallets as a whole, the healthiest diet i believe is chop im naughty and mix seed into chop, my cockatiels love foraging in the stuff, but birdtricks would have you buy pellets as if it were the healthiest option! as though you were a very bad irresponsible person if you did not buy this! because they said the "vets" whose names were not mentioned and so ive never met or seen and therefore cannot research them to find out there background but these guys said they said so! So it must be true (how could i not be offended) i felt sorry for one of their students with a macaw getting criticized by jamie pretending to be an angry parrot and then dave telling her that her reaction towards the woman was ok its alright, unprofessional, to say the least.

I tried to look passed these minor slights as i thought i am also not perfect they may not be so bad.... and maybe that is true

I watched their aviary setup and i must say i do like it and i do like how clean they are but also i wonder if people who reinforce to others not to apply human emotion to a bird, have a bond with these animals or are they just circus performers that they possess for fame and fortune, when they cried over bandit on camera was that real coming from a woman that doesnt like it when a macaw touches her, or is this all just for the media, and dave hes so creepy, im sorry i had to say it (shuddah)

watching two arrogant people who are largely driven by there ego is hard to stomach at best even harder when you read about them taking all of there ideas and knowledge off genuine proffessionals who gave it for free and capatalising on it instead of sharing the love. Read about that on liberty wings

No i dont like them. But at the same time i do hope they keep on looking after those birds there life is not so bad, i just dont agree with it thats all i am one person, not a fan

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
It does make sense that a person whose career involves training birds and people along with the odd stage performance would be wanting to make money and fame, but i do question pallets as a whole, the healthiest diet i believe is chop im naughty and mix seed into chop, my cockatiels love foraging in the stuff, but birdtricks would have you buy pellets as if it were the healthiest option! as though you were a very bad irresponsible person if you did not buy this! because they said the "vets" whose names were not mentioned and so ive never met or seen and therefore cannot research them to find out there background but these guys said they said so! So it must be true (how could i not be offended) i felt sorry for one of their students with a macaw getting criticized by jamie pretending to be an angry parrot and then dave telling her that her reaction towards the woman was ok its alright, unprofessional, to say the least.

I tried to look passed these minor slights as i thought i am also not perfect they may not be so bad.... and maybe that is true

I watched their aviary setup and i must say i do like it and i do like how clean they are but also i wonder if people who reinforce to others not to apply human emotion to a bird, have a bond with these animals or are they just circus performers that they possess for fame and fortune, when they cried over bandit on camera was that real coming from a woman that doesnt like it when a macaw touches her, or is this all just for the media, and dave hes so creepy, im sorry i had to say it (shuddah)

watching two arrogant people who are largely driven by there ego is hard to stomach at best even harder when you read about them taking all of there ideas and knowledge off genuine proffessionals who gave it for free and capatalising on it instead of sharing the love. Read about that on liberty wings

No i dont like them. But at the same time i do hope they keep on looking after those birds there life is not so bad, i just dont agree with it thats all i am one person, not a fan
yeah, their bird care isn’t horrible. it’s just the attitude that they, and their products are the best and the only good thing out there. and honestly i believe they are aggressive with their marketing tactics. they’re honestly just kinda awkward in my opinion. it’s totally relatable to me (i much prefer being with birds rather than humans haha). It’s just the way that they kind of present themselves with a “holier than thou” attitude.

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
@Redline

About Bandit, of course they had to make a video about his passing. So many people follow this channel and they want to know what happenee if they stop seeing a bird. It is not like they were going to say in another video "oh hey btw Bandit died.". I don't think it is realistic to expect a person to talk on camera about their dead bird without shedding any tears. I know I couldn't.

They are not circus performers. They are performers who include their birds in their shows which I think is great because the birds get to experience so much instead of being left at home in their cages.

This is how they make money you guys. Of course they are going to do marketing. Whatever source their pellets come from, you don't have to purchase them. Trying to sell the pellets don't make them arrogant or egoistic.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
i wonder if people who reinforce to others not to apply human emotion to a bird, have a bond with these animals or are they just circus performers that they possess for fame and fortune
I can at least agree with this.... don't apply human emotions to your animals. People do this frequently with their pets and this in turn reinforces the idea that the undesired behavior is "okay" or "it'll never change".

I've come across several new bird owners who have said their birds hate them, their birds don't like them, their birds are aggressive.... I then lay the "foundation" of hate/dislike/aggression against fear. I ask their opinion again where their bird falls into. They come back and say their bird is afraid. This, in turn, changes their approach, their attitude, and it makes it easier for them to work with their bird, knowing how their bird *really* feels.

Or the amount of people who say that their dog pees inside or destroys something inside to spite them. Something is "wrong" and they need to fix things to change the behavior.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Absolutely! Birds and dogs don't possess the Cognitive abilities to feel spite or any of the anthropomorphic ideas we push onto them. I'm definitely not saying they aren't intelligent, because they certainly are, but to think that animals think like us is just absurd.

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
I like some of their stuff, but I really have to pick and choose. I hate how their stuff costs so much... I'd absolutely love to buy a cookbook from them but it's 70 DOLLARS! Just imagine how many bird toys I could buy with that!

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
I like some of their stuff, but I really have to pick and choose. I hate how their stuff costs so much... I'd absolutely love to buy a cookbook from them but it's 70 DOLLARS! Just imagine how many bird toys I could buy with that!
I also don't like how they try to withhold food from the birds. With Indie I use positive reinforcement. She gets delicious food all day long, but if she does a good behavior, she gets even more delicious food!

I do like how they are advocates of free-flight. I think flying is extremely important to birds and I can just see how much Indie likes looking out the window into nature.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I repeat - they are charlatans and do not deserve respect from anyone. Chris has been flying birds for more than 27 years

"Here is what Chris Biro has to say about "Bird Tricks". Particularly about them staving their birds when flying them and some of the deceptive and dishonest practices they engage in.

The article is copyright protected so I cannot copy it here (as I would like to so all of the naive would see it). Here is the link to that article.
birdtricksters.com | Liberty Wings "

Aves

I repeat - they are charlatans and do not deserve respect from anyone.
100% true! They brainwash people to buy their garbage, and they make people believe they know a lot of stuff about birds.

Redline

Moving in
Real Name
Enua
I can at least agree with this.... don't apply human emotions to your animals. People do this frequently with their pets and this in turn reinforces the idea that the undesired behavior is "okay" or "it'll never change".

I've come across several new bird owners who have said their birds hate them, their birds don't like them, their birds are aggressive.... I then lay the "foundation" of hate/dislike/aggression against fear. I ask their opinion again where their bird falls into. They come back and say their bird is afraid. This, in turn, changes their approach, their attitude, and it makes it easier for them to work with their bird, knowing how their bird *really* feels.

Or the amount of people who say that their dog pees inside or destroys something inside to spite them. Something is "wrong" and they need to fix things to change the behavior.
Not all human emotion is negative.

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
My friends and I have recently being timestamping all of the times their birds are actively begging on camera. Keep in mind these macaws are over 10 years old and it's not their "personality" when both are hard core begging on camera. We have even seen the behavior in their sun conures an uncomfortable amount. I know they food manage - I have done this and do this as a training tool, but that's too far what they are doing. No bird should ever be full on baby begging for food unless it's a baby, a freshly weaned youngin', or a messed up bird who feels the need to be comforted!

Muna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Muna
Yeah birdtricks ... full of yikes. She keeps pushing it with marketing her products. Her pellets & toys box subscription was okay but expensive . Seems like my lovebirds love the pellets and the rest of my flock dislike it.
they said the "vets" whose names were not mentioned and so ive never met or seen and therefore cannot research them to find out there background but these guys said they said so!
This was one of the red flag that made me doubt her. I even asked my avain vet about birdtricks. He wouldn’t stop shaking his head at me lol.
I do like some of her older videos where she gives good advices.
I really have to pick and choose. I hate how their stuff costs so much...
That’s how I felt with their toy box. I ended up ordering directly from one of the brands she use “Parrot joy” where I get to pick what my birds like.