• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinions on BirdTricks?

SummerBerry

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashlyn
I had no idea where to post this thread so I'm just going to put it down here. I've noticed the Bird-tricks website and videos a couple of times now, and I'm interested to see what you guys think of them. Particularly there training methods, are they good for smaller birds? Are there videos worth buying? I noticed they focus on target training a lot which I like. Anyway, what do you guys think?

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Personally I'm a huge fan, I like their methods and their birds seem to be well-cared for, but I haven't really watched enough of them to give a super educated opinion. I also like how they don't advocate free-flying to the general public, don't know enough about free flying to advocate for or diss their methods.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There are so many behaviorists and trainers who are long time professionals that have certificates and much of their stuff is free.

I've never cared for Bird Tricks nor their training methods. They are very commercial and want money for everything. I don't remember if it is BirdTricks or Parrot Wizard uses withholding food from you bird to train - that's an absolute nono. Mostly these are guys who learned (sometimes not very well) from the real life, longtime certified professionals like Pamela Clark.

I don't like them and they sometimes publish inaccurate and occasionally dangerous information. Do what you choose, but as always keep your eyes open and your brain turned on.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I came across Birdtricks when a video popped up on youtube, it was a video filmed in some sort of class and the young lady was ¨teaching¨ a member of the class how to interact better with her macaw.
I did not like the video. It was very strange. And throughout, there was the pause screen with memos constantly saying how the member was ¨obviously¨ scared of/intimidated by the young lady (sorry, I do not know her name).

Maybe she´s good with birds, but on that video she was awful with people. No social skills whatsoever. And so, I´ve never watched another video on that channel.
(I think the video I refer to has since been deleted, hardly surprising as the comment section was slamming the channel for the way they spoke of this woman who had turned to them for help, not to be ridiculed or belittled.)

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
That's pretty interesting! I'll probably watch this thread, curious to see what others had to say, as I'm pretty novice in the world of pet YouTubers. Didn't know any of this stuff.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is a list of professional who are time tested in the bird training/behavior world. Many have a lot of free help for almost anything you may want to cure your bird of or teach them.

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Thank @Monica for this excellent list of professionals.

SummerBerry

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashlyn
I saw that video to @Zara it was strange the poor lady just looked intimidated the whole video.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I saw that video to @Zara it was strange the poor lady just looked intimidated the whole video.

The woman who was seeking help would have benefited more from a one on one session to learn rather than put on a podium infront of the group making her nervous, which will do nothing to help her interact with her bird. And the many notes on the screen saying how this woman was scared of the ¨trainer¨ were just so uncalled for, rude and disrespectful.
I just hope she´s doing well with her bird wherever they are now....

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I actually ordered some of their videos. The cookbooks are nice, but overall I'm not impressed. Something about them as people bugs me, and the woman is not friendly. In one video she has dialog across the bottom about how the parrot owner was intimidated by her and the bird was picking up on that. Yeah maybe you should be less "intense." also, their stuff is all expensive. I impulse bought :bored:

SummerBerry

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashlyn
also, their stuff is all expensive.
Yeah, they definitely push people to buy their products or things they sponsor. I would probably at least try one of there videos if they weren't so expensive.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
They are thieves and are only worried about making a buck on the back of people who don't know any better than to hand their money over to them...charlottes I believe they would have been called in a different time? Save your money and go with someone who knows what they are talking about as Hank Macaw mentioned. There are plenty of true trainers around who actually know what they are talking about.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
The woman who was seeking help would have benefited more from a one on one session to learn rather than put on a podium infront of the group making her nervous, which will do nothing to help her interact with her bird. And the many notes on the screen saying how this woman was scared of the ¨trainer¨ were just so uncalled for, rude and disrespectful.
I just hope she´s doing well with her bird wherever they are now....

And the woman in one day miracles is forever in film being chastised for her ignorance

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've never cared for Bird Tricks nor their training methods. They are very commercial and want money for everything. I don't remember if it is BirdTricks or Parrot Wizard uses withholding food from you bird to train - that's an absolute nono. Mostly these are guys who learned (sometimes not very well) from the real life, longtime certified professionals like Pamela Clark.

I don't like them and they sometimes publish inaccurate and occasionally dangerous information.

Both... cause PW learned from BT....

I do not like them.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Ok I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of either of them and haven't watched a ton of their videos. I have learned a bit from them through. According Parrot Wizard parrots can't go deaf because the little hairs in their ear canals can grow back where in humans they can't. I thought that was pretty interesting. I never got a whole from their training videos so I haven't watch of a lot of them. So while I wouldn't recommend them butI don't totally write them off either. You have to be very careful what you learn from them though

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Just because I was curious I googled search about birds' hearing and across this :) Birds never go deaf, but why do humans? - Scope

So he was right about that. He was the first person I've hear talking about birds not going deaf. So I feel I have to give him some credit. So I think bt and pw can give out some good info but I wouldn't solely take their word for it

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I learned one thing from parrot wizard that has been really effective for my lovebird. When we clicker train and she would bite, I'd turn my back to her for about 5 seconds. That really drove home "incorrect." But that's about it.

SummerBerry

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashlyn
Thanks for all the replies. I'm taking their videos with a grain of salt. Even before I posted this thread I kinda felt uncomfortable with the way they treat some of there clients in their videos. So I doubt I will be watching their videos much.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Neither one foments methods or practices that will foster long-term, positive relationships, IMO. BT pushes for results too quickly, among other things, and PW withholds food. BT's birds live out in the garage or outdoor aviaries because Womach is allergic. How much time do they actually get to spend just being companions with their people?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Neither one foments methods or practices that will foster long-term, positive relationships, IMO. BT pushes for results too quickly, among other things, and PW withholds food. BT's birds live out in the garage or outdoor aviaries because Womach is allergic. How much time do they actually get to spend just being companions with their people?
birdtricksters.com | Liberty Wings