• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinions on BirdTricks?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have no problem with David and Jamie Womach. I probably won't buy pellets from them any more, but I have learned many useful things from their website and have even had a private consultation via skype. I was given their budgie course for free, and I thought it was OK. Their Family Friendly parrot course makes the idea of positive reinforcement, permission-based training clear as well as a very sytematic way to figure out what you may be doing wrong. Their toy boxes and pellets are re-branded items, though. So, buyer beware. I actually believe David Womach to be very knowledgeable.
I'll be honest, their material from 10 years ago, even 15 years ago is much worse than the new stuff they are creating now. I am personally glad that they *ARE* willing to learn more and expand on their own knowledge! I hope they continue to improve and learn! There's less BS advertisement, less copying the same testimonial and changing only the bird species name, less stealing other trainers work and "claiming" it as their own. Granted, much of that may have been due to one other person that used to work with them and is now off training dogs perhaps? I'm not entirely sure... but I've seen evidence that greatly leans that direction!

Sorry of this sounds silly, but what is required before someone is a 'professional'?
Not everyone listed in that link may be qualified trainers and behaviorists, but they are all people who *GET* it! That is, they understand behavior, actions and consequences, rewards, etc. Every single one of them is willing to learn more and do better. This is why they are on that list! :)

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I've seen some of Marlene, Bird Tricks & Elle. They try, but each has their faults. As Ulis_Beast said, buyer beware. Since most people in animal training have scant if any professional qualifications or diversified experience (like one might get at a sanctuary or shelter, for example), I think it's best to get other opinions. Very few have even mentored under someone who knows their stuff & has a proven track record.

That's why I'm on AA. Collectively, there's a lot of diversified experience for people like me to learn from.

Elle's last video was it for me. Didn't last 2 minutes. Others may appreciate teenage drama & slang woven into her videos, but I don't. I suspect she lost a lot of her occasional adult audience that day. Marlene largely talks in a mudroom, ad nauseum & clearly off the top of her head, & Bird Tricks often talks on a couch about how great their products are if only you will buy them. Not a great advertisement. I'm not paying to watch someone monologue on a couch & they show little else.
Hate to be changing my mind all of a sudden, but I just watched Elles's most recent videos, and I have to agree. She's targeting her younger audiences. I will continue to recommend her older videos, even though they are not perfect, they're not completely off the ark, even though AA is much better. :hug8: :laughing2:

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
Hate to be changing my mind all of a sudden, but I just watched Elles's most recent videos, and I have to agree. She's targeting her younger audiences. I will continue to recommend her older videos, even though they are not perfect, they're not completely off the ark, even though AA is much better. :hug8: :laughing2:
Im glad I’m not the only one anymore who believes this! I use to be a fan in Elle until the last few videos

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I came across a Birdtricks video from 5 days ago whilst I was looking through my suggested videos of YouTube and was disgusted by what I saw.

This so called 'expert' lost her budgie because she left a door open and it flew out. School boy error #1. I understand people make mistakes, and I'm surprised I haven't accidently left a door open and got a bird out, but I thought this person was supposed to be perfect and know everything there is to know?

:meh:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
and was disgusted by what I saw.
but I thought this person was supposed to be perfect and know everything there is to know?
No-one is perfect. Accidents happen. I don´t think your harsh comment is fair. Just because they post videos online, they should never ever make a mistake?
We´re all human at the end of the day.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
No-one is perfect. Accidents happen. I don´t think your harsh comment is fair. Just because they post videos online, they should never ever make a mistake?
We´re all human at the end of the day.
It's probably a set up video anyway. Not unlikely.

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
It's probably a set up video anyway. Not unlikely.
They dont do set up videos. they would never intentionally risk anything like that. Like them or not, they ARE professionals sharing their experiences and expertise with parrot owners for free.

Their channel has helped tons of relationships between human and parrot. A lot of their viewers and customers are people who "just got this parrot and didnt know what to do with it," then saw Birdtricks videos, seeing what parrots are all about and that they're more than caged accessories.

They do good. I like them, but would never invest in their services; they ARE very expensive and I can find the same service for cheaper. But they are professionals.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I came across a Birdtricks video from 5 days ago whilst I was looking through my suggested videos of YouTube and was disgusted by what I saw.

This so called 'expert' lost her budgie because she left a door open and it flew out. School boy error #1. I understand people make mistakes, and I'm surprised I haven't accidently left a door open and got a bird out, but I thought this person was supposed to be perfect and know everything there is to know?

:meh:
We all make mistakes, Ali. And she freely admits it was a mistake in the video. I think judging her on that video is not fair especially since she could have never posted it in the first place—no one would have ever known.

Aves

I came across a bird tricks video and the guy said he was proud of smuggling birds on airplanes so he could avoid paying the tickets!:pcwhack:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Smuggling is wrong.

I feel badly that she lost her bird. It must've taken a great deal of courage & honesty to post the video anyway. No matter who she is or if anyone agrees with her methods, it's sad to lose a pet & be left to wonder.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They dont do set up videos. they would never intentionally risk anything like that. Like them or not, they ARE professionals sharing their experiences and expertise with parrot owners for free.
Wow this whole thread is about how UN professional they are, did you read it?

And I don’t know how you know if they set up videos or not. Did they say it or you are assuming?

I do think (if I’m understanding correctly) for someone to say hey I screwed up and my budgie flew out the door— that’s a brave thing to admit to an Audience, and it’s good for the viewers to see it can happen to anyone.

I came across a bird tricks video and the guy said he was proud of smuggling birds on airplanes so he could avoid paying the tickets!:pcwhack:
Uggh

I don’t watch BT , but that’s really tacky. Trying to cheat an airline is dishonest, wonder how he’d feel if someone tried to cheat him out of his fee?

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Wow this whole thread is about how UN professional they are, did you read it?

And I don’t know how you know if they set up videos or not. Did they say it or you are assuming?

I do think (if I’m understanding correctly) for someone to say hey I screwed up and my budgie flew out the door— that’s a brave thing to admit to an Audience, and it’s good for the viewers to see it can happen to anyone.

Uggh

I don’t watch BT , but that’s really tacky. Trying to cheat an airline is dishonest, wonder how he’d feel if someone tried to cheat him out of his fee?
I have read it and there are DEFINITELY points I agree with but points I do not, too
I'm all for criticizing! I'm not a Birdtricks fangirl, I just thought their comments were not completely fair I suppose.

Birdtricks, while not perfect, is not the type to do set ups like some other less. They havent said that but they shouldn't have to... they are a channel dedicated to education, training and offering their paid services. There would be only cons from them making a set up video and that is drama they would certainly want to avoid. They have criticized channels such as that Carol girl for that very thing.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I had a consult with Birdtricks and honestly the only thing they are professional at is entertainment.....I actually believe that may be a fact!
I really quite liked both Dave and Jamie as people, they were fun and interesting people to talk to but that does not alter the fact they sold me or took money from me for “professional” services regarding shaping bird behavior, training techniques and general avian health information and I never got that!
I think they are really great professional entertainers and some of their bird content I do enjoy watching- I am however annoyed I paid money for a consult where I learned nothing new and gained nothing to better the life of my bird- I paid for those services believing they were in fact professional behaviourists. If I had of known then what I know now I could have paid for many sessions with a "professional" behaviorist for the same price as I paid them to get to chat to them- What I took away from that consult is that you live and you learn and you get entertained sometimes along the way!

Aves

I had a consult with Birdtricks and honestly the only thing they are professional at is entertainment.....I actually believe that may be a fact!
I really quite liked both Dave and Jamie as people, they were fun and interesting people to talk to but that does not alter the fact they sold me or took money from me for “professional” services regarding shaping bird behavior, training techniques and general avian health information and I never got that!
I think they are really great professional entertainers and some of their bird content I do enjoy watching- I am however annoyed I paid money for a consult where I learned nothing new and gained nothing to better the life of my bird- I paid for those services believing they were in fact professional behaviourists. If I had of known then what I know now I could have paid for many sessions with a "professional" behaviorist for the same price as I paid them to get to chat to them- What I took away from that consult is that you live and you learn and you get entertained sometimes along the way!
They have "bird shows" but a lot of it is them dancing and entertaining. Yes they are only pro entertainers not pro bird trainers.

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
I like BT's Youtube channel, especially Jamieleigh. Their info on training and bird behaviour isn't new, but it's presented in a fun and engaging way, and it's easily accessible. I'm not such a big fan of their masterclass videos (it's awkward having a bunch of people and birds watching other people train), but I really enjoy their consult videos - they're often in a series, so we can see how the birds and people change and respond over time. I'm not familiar with how they used to be years ago, but I do recommend BT's videos to people interested in getting started with bird training, or an intro to bird behaviour. I still find myself learning from watching their examples and explanations.

Dave seems a bit more aggressive with the advertising and seems a bit more showman-y, but nothing egregious.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I wouldn't recommend anyone who used food deprivation as motivation to learn something. Sure, it's motivating, but it's also cruel. Apparently they do that.
It seems like we’ve had an influx of newer members promoting BT. Have you noticed that?