• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinions on beak length

Persephone

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Samia
I apologise in advance, because I know there must be posts like this all the time, but I was wondering if I could they some opinions on whether Sherlock’s beak is too long and needs trimming:

9D29A956-BA81-48B1-A48B-C2462D38377B.jpeg
When he was last at the vet for a nail trim back in December, she said she didn’t think it warranted a trim, and it hasn’t grown madly since then, but I still wasn’t sure if it might be worth going back in soon. He has no trouble eating or anything like that. He has access to a lava block, cement perched, wooden toys, cuttlefish bones, all that kind of stuff, but I don’t think he really uses them much. Never seems overly bothered. I may just be being over-anxious, but while I’ve seen a few photos of quakers with slightly longer beaks that have been deemed fine, most seem to be much shorter, as his used to be. I didn’t want to run back to the vet and have them do anything he doesn’t actually need. I’ve read a lot of useful advice on various threads here previously, and thought getting some more experienced advice would be best

Trogdora

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jen G.
I don't think his beak looks overgrown at the moment. You might be able to send a photo to your vet, rather than taking the bird back in. My vet at least has been very creative at finding ways to avoid having patients and humans actually come into the clinic.

For the lava stone and cuttlebone, if you want to encourage use you could put them closer to his food dish. Birds will naturally wipe their beaks off on their dish or perch, and mine have been good at using the things I've put by their dishes. They seem to prefer the lava blocks, and they also have Manu clay blocks that they really like. I would remove the cement perch, personally, because sometimes they'll wear off the scales on the bird's feet which just seems painful.

(I've spent the past two decades living with a bird with chronic beak issues, so I've learned a thing or two.)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your birds beak looks fine to me.
Provide plenty of wooden and other natural fibre toys and encourage their destruction.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Beak length looks fine :)

As Shez said, wooden toys to chew and destroy will help keep the beak in good condition.

My birds also like the lava stones to wipe their beaks on like Jens.

I would remove the cement perch, personally, because sometimes they'll wear off the scales on the bird's feet which just seems painful.
If it is a Hagen (living world) one, with a smooth side, then as long as it is the correct size and installed correctly with the smooth edge facing upwards, it is fine. The smooth edge should line up with the birds feet, and the nails over hang onto the rough part underneath.
Perches that are rough all over are terrible.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That looks like a totally healthy beak length for a quaker :)

Persephone

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Samia
Thank you so much for your help everybody - that’s really put my mind at ease. I’m definitely going to try putting his lava block nearer his food bowl.

As for the perch, the one he has is an all-over rough one. I had no idea they could hurt them, I thought it was only the sandpapery ones. Luckily his feet seem fine. I’ll certainly be ordering one of the Hagen ones right away!