• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opal on Shoulders

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well try using something like a perch or dowel or something he can chew on without hurting you or him. He's decided your daddy and he wants to be up there with you and gets upset when the hand tries to stop his daddy time so he bites to make it go away and let him stay with daddy.
You have to work with him slowly to get him to think leaving your shoulder is a good thing as it sounds like for now the shoulder is all he wants. Try treats he'll kill for and things to make him want to leave willingly and think it is his idea and a good thing rather then daddy time ends.
He's really young so I guess a bit stubborn and probably not real good at entertaining himself and being content to just be close and play with toys and things, your his whole world right now so you both have to come to a understanding and it will probably take some time as birds don't see time like we do.
Lurch is a adult Maxi who has had a few homes and it has taken 5 years to earn his trust and love. He still has his homicidal triggers and pissy/grumpy moments but he's mostly happy and loving now and his moods are easy to read so we deal with them when he gets upset.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
Wow. Was the breeder daft? haha. He is definitely far younger than 4-5 months, and I know in a post somewhere else you said he's 2-3 months; which he may be even younger than that. When I had gotten my two month old baby lovebird all his little face feathers were grown in completely. So while I'm not 100% sure of his age, he is definitely young. Did the breeder give you a hatch date?

Ameer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amir
Hey..thanks for ur message. Unfortunately I am still relying on this forum to tell me the right age..the breeder just said he is young..thats all....

Anyways. .I have managed to teach him now that the shoulder is off limits. And he is cool with that.
Thanks to all your advises here.

Ameer