• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Only on infertile egg

Themre

Moving in
Hi forum

I have a pair of Quakers and I seen them mate and provided them a nest but the female lays only one egg and it's infertile. Anyone got a clue why ? This happened more than once already. I'm no breeder but I really would like them to raise chicks. Also I am experienced in hand feeding should any issues arise with the chicks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are you 100% sure you have a male and female pair?

Themre

Moving in
Are you 100% sure you have a male and female pair?
I never done a DNA test but I bought them as a pair and I seen the one who I assume is the male mating the female.

One may not be fertile also.
You mean the male is infertile? Does this happen often ? Or maybe he's too young ? The breeder I got them from wasn't sure about their age.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I never done a DNA test but I bought them as a pair and I seen the one who I assume is the male mating the female.

You mean the male is infertile? Does this happen often ? Or maybe he's too young ? The breeder I got them from wasn't sure about their age.

Just because one mounts the other does not mean that the mounter is male :) Same sex couples can and do exist! Also yes, if they are too young they can't reproduce and it can be really hard on their bodies. Knowing their age, gender, and relation I would consider the bare minimum information to have before encouraging breeding.

Themre

Moving in
Just because one mounts the other does not mean that the mounter is male :) Same sex couples can and do exist! Also yes, if they are too young they can't reproduce and it can be really hard on their bodies. Knowing their age, gender, and relation I would consider the bare minimum information to have before encouraging breeding.
Never thought of same sex couples. I didn't bought them for breeding purposes I just love Quaker parrots and fell in love with the pair but when I seen them mate I introduced the nest. I think they are at least two years old since they are with me a year and a half already, and when I bought them they were at least six months old so I think they should be ready for mating. I think I need to get their gender tested first. But if they turn out to be a pair what solutions do I have to make the male fertile ? And why the female only lays one egg ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Never thought of same sex couples. I didn't bought them for breeding purposes I just love Quaker parrots and fell in love with the pair but when I seen them mate I introduced the nest. I think they are at least two years old since they are with me a year and a half already, and when I bought them they were at least six months old so I think they should be ready for mating. I think I need to get their gender tested first. But if they turn out to be a pair what solutions do I have to make the male fertile ? And why the female only lays one egg ?
So yes, quakers can breed as young as 18 months but I would probably wait until longer personally. Solutions would be to ensure that they have a really good diet and plenty of exercise.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Are they unrelated? Or siblings? Since you said you got them from the same breeder.

Themre

Moving in
Unrelated I think, the breeder used to breed them together in a big cage and when he sees them sitting in a pair and feeding each other he sells them as pairs, guess this is a very unsecure way......

I lost contact with him though aswell I remember him caring more about the money he makes than the birds, that's the reason I wanted to give the birds a better home...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you don't know for sure they are unrelated, I wouldn't encourage breeding. Siblings at 6 months old will practice feeding each other to prepare for adulthood.

Themre

Moving in
If you don't know for sure they are unrelated, I wouldn't encourage breeding. Siblings at 6 months old will practice feeding each other to prepare for adulthood.
Thanks for ur replys and clarification I think I really need to overthink letting them breed till I gather more information, can't allow myself to make any harm come to these lovely birds.