• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One wing clipped

Ashmac

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Hi all
I’ve been hovering here for a while reading lots of threads and am about to choose between two birds!

One of them (1.5 year old Meyers) has had one wing clipped.

I personally prefer flighted birds - however would you recommend I clip both wings and let them grow through simultaneously, or leave him lopsided while the other grows out?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you know when your birds last moult was?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I would personally have the bird's other wing clipped to match the one that is already clipped. It can be very awkward for a bird to try flying with only one clipped wing.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That's an " old school " clip..dosent stop them from flying..just flies in circles until they crash..some dumb butt probably saw that on the internet :cautious:..though I hate clipping..you may ..dare I say..clip the other wing...but not severe.. just for safety..be prepared for lots of new blood feathers as it moults and regrowth sets in...were here if you need help..also..consult with your vet on the best route..hope your baby is flying soon!

Ashmac

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
I have picked him up!! One of those “bird chose you” moments took decisions about species away.

He’s been well handled, looks healthy, eats right stuff - but this wing isn’t great. Going to the vet today.