• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

one vs two pigeons?

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
i have always loved pigeons and i am strongly considering adding a pidge or two to my flock if my parents agree to it. what are the pros and cons to owning one pigeon vs two?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would recommend a pair (that's not to say a breeding pair; they can be of the same gender and unbonded). They are very much flock birds and do a lot better with at least one of their kind, in my opinion. There's a chance but not a big one that they will get along with your other birds. A single pigeon would (most likely) either be lonely and depressed or get way too attached to you, which isn't healthy. You really need to think this through though - in my opinion adding a pigeon is harder than say another lovebird. On the one hand they're a completely new species with very different needs, but they're not like parrots in that they climb and chew and play a lot. Instead they need a lot of room to fly, as much as possible. It's their main form of enrichment, generally speaking. That also means big cage, which needs to be set up specifically to work with their wingspan while still having enough interesting stuff in it. So what I'm trying to say is, it's a big commitment (as is any bird, but this will grow your flock significantly if you get a pair) and as it seems you're a minor (like me) you need to carefully think about how you'll be able to keep them all through things like college, moving, travelling, whatever is in the cards for you. It's always good to think about for example the possibility that at some point your parents will need to take care of your flock for you perhaps for a week or maybe longer.

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
thank you for the response! i will look more into owning a pair of pigeons. i understand that pigeons are very different from parrots, and i am throughly researching pigeons and will not get one (or two) until i know how to properly care for them. i do have enough space for a big cage/enrichment and they will get hours of flight time. of course with any bird they might not get along with my current birds, so i do have an alternate room where the pigeons could live away from my parrots. i do already have a plan if i go to college or travel, and that will also apply to any bird i may get in the future.