• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One VS Multiple Birds?

TurkeyTalker

Moving in
Real Name
Sara
Hello everyone! I have one bird now, a male GCC that is 2 1/2 years old. I've been contemplating getting an additional bird and now that I'm getting closer and closer to graduating from university I'm considering it harder. I plan on going to medical school, but that would result in him getting less time with me since I'd be out at school for hours and he would no longer get the interaction he gets now from my mother and brother since I would have to move away. My absolute dream would be me getting a 2nd GCC and the two becoming best buds who could share a cage - but I understand that's not likely.

So my questions are:

For people who have added birds to existing households - how did your bird change after the new bird(s) were introduced? Did they reject you in favor of the new bird? Did they stress out really bad?

If, in theory, I got a female gcc of similar age - is it possible they could be housed together? (A large cage
[36” x 26” x 66” is my largest cage I own right now but I could go bigger] will be used in the event that they do bond. If they don't bond they will live in separate cages) Would a male be a better option?

I've heard of people housing a cage of budgerigars or finches near their parrot to keep it company - would this work better?

Final disclaimer: Understand that I WILL NOT use a bird as a substitute for my own affection and interaction with my bird(s), but rather the hope is that they will keep each other company while I'm gone during the day and during some nights when I'm unable to let them run around the house. Each bird will still get out of cage time each day!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue.
For people who have added birds to existing households - how did your bird change after the new bird(s) were introduced?
There will always be dynamic changes with a new bird is added to the family. (flock) In a perfect world, everybirdie will get along with each other in a grand manner...but that happens all too infrequently. More often, you'll have problems arise..ranging from jealousy to dislike to outright physical attacks. Perhaps what you should look for is benign acceptance...something like "You stay out of my way and I'll stay out of yours"...that sort of thing.

We are going through a time where we have a new bird joining the flock...Tweety Tiel came to us about a month ago....we have two mature, steady male tiels already. They are establishing interactions right now...even a month into being together. Igor wants to start interacting with Tweety...and Sunshine doesn't want anything to do with him...Tweety is naturally cautious with them both.
It's a work in progress, and we are hopeful that the boys will reach a "mutual working relationship"...;)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here!

At first, bird(s) are generally standoffish to a new member. You have no guarantee they will become BFFs (Best Feathers Friends). But they'll more than likely warm up to each other on some level. Don't leave them alone together outside their cages until you're absolutely sure fighting won't ensue!

My crew are a constant source of entertainment for each other. They talk, play, and eat together, but aren't really snuggle buddies. I know they get upset if I have to take one of them somewhere (like the vet) and leave the rest home. They get very vocal about it! When we come back, they all want to inspect the returning flock member. It's very cute actually!

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I added Tibs after Sam had lived for four years as an only bird. I wouldn't get a second bird for your bird, but if you want a second bird, that's another story. The two birds could end up hating each other, and while the company is good for them, you have to be ready to deal with what that entails.
I ended up with Tibs because he picked me, and I was looking to add a second smaller bird at the time. I think Sam is benefiting more from Tibs being there than the other way around, Sam eats more because Tibs is a big time eater. Sam isn't as concerned when I come and go as he used to be. They don't interact per se due to different beak sizes and have separate out of cage time.
I don't think having a flock is bad but it does change dynamics.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Depends on the bird & the species...Budgies & tiels seem to be pretty social & accepting & could even adapt to the same cage.
Others will tolerate, ignore or activly hate so need to be seperate & out only supervised.

GCC are somewhat easy going. They could get along fine but then not...Depends on the birds & your relationship with the first bird.

Some birds will pair & want less or not much to do with you afterward.

That said I have 2 & they basically ignore each other & you really can't tell anyone knows the other is here & there cages are 4 feet apart so they can share the big window.

Penny pretty much ignores Rio but when I am doing something in Rios cage & he is being bad she says "Step Up" so she obviously is reprimanding him or telling him or me something so she understands Rio is here but they don;t ever talk to each other.. They will start to call out if one wants me it reminds the other or when one takes a bath the other will follow...

Penny never has flown on Rio's cage or vice versa so for that I am very grateful. I would not call them friends but I do think tho they really dont interact that just the presence of the other must have some positive consideration as they are not friends but they are also not enemies...They barely show that the other is so close by...Total for the most ignorance...Which is fine with me...

Penny is alot bigger & they are both from around the same jungle areas in Brazil so in the wild they could have been neighbors...

Its best to get a bird of similar size to limit one hurting the other very bad if they did get at each other but even a budgie can bite the toes off of a GCC if it lands on there cage.

Get a bird you will enjoy too but a GCC would be the most ideal.