• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent One short wing

California

Meeting neighbors
Hi I got a 7 month old alexandrine and today I noticed his wings,
He has one shorter side and one with long feathers,
On the short side he used to have just one long feather but he plucked it out ( he stays out the cage 4/5 hours daily and I clean his cage and change food/water daily so he is not stressed)
I’ll share a photo
Maybe there’s something I can do to help is this normal or? Will he grow feathers?

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you inspected the wings by gently stretching them both out?
Is there possibly a deformity or partial amputation of the short wing, or has it maybe been clipped?
Did you actually see the plucking or are you just guessing it was plucked? If you saw plucking I would get him in for a vet check sooner rather than later.

California

Meeting neighbors
Have you inspected the wings by gently stretching them both out?
Is there possibly a deformity or partial amputation of the short wing, or has it maybe been clipped?
Did you actually see the plucking or are you just guessing it was plucked? If you saw plucking I would get him in for a vet check sooner rather than later.
I really haven’t seen the plucking, I saw him grooming than after a few minutes I saw his feather on the bottom of the cage, I really don’t have a vet that’s suitable for birds that’s why I asked.
Also I don’t think his wings were cut but I can’t inspect them since he isn’t trained

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don’t think his wings were cut
All the flight feathers (the black ones) are missing on one side. So either they were clipped, or as Shez said, maybe a partial wing amp.

Where did you get the bird from? If a pet shop, it´s likely it was a wing clip. Can you call and ask?

California

Meeting neighbors
All the flight feathers (the black ones) are missing on one side. So either they were clipped, or as Shez said, maybe a partial wing amp.

Where did you get the bird from? If a pet shop, it´s likely it was a wing clip. Can you call and ask?
I got him from a pet shop , I’m currently asking if they clipped his wings but I do t think they did , otherwise they would have clipped his tail and other wing too

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
It would be my guess that they just clipped the feathers on one wing.
This is a very bad practice as it puts them off balance and they can get hurt trying to fly.
You can clip the other wing feathers then let them both wait to molt out.
It is not a good idea to do this yourself if you are not experienced.
If you do this yourself you need to look up how so that you do not clip any blood feathers or otherwise hurt him by clipping too many so that he falls like a rock instead of gliding down.
you will also need to learn how to towel the bird properly so that you do not resrtict the chest and prevent them from breathing.
no one should ever ever ever clip the tail
You really should look for a vet that works with birds, and develop a relationship with one. you will eventually need one and it is not fun trying to find one in an emergency.

California

Meeting neighbors
It is rare to clip a birds tail.
And yes, while a wing clip should include both wings, unfortunately some will do just one.
I looked at the pictures I took when I got him and he had only 2 flight feathers that seemed damaged , today when he opened his wings I saw he had a bunch of little flight feather so I guess that’s a good thing

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
He may have molted them out, they got pulled out some how or he has issues with the feathers on that side. If he's growing in new ones cross your fingers and he'll probably fill back out and be fine eventually.
Nerd bird had damaged and deformed feathers on one side so very rarely one or two would grow in enough for him to fly some what ok, then he'd molt or pull them out because they were weird and hurt him.