• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One picture is worth a thousand words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
While your cat looks very lovely and cute, they are a great danger to birds. As prey animals, cats nearby can cause a lot of stress for the bird. Lots of bird owners have cats, but very few will allow the cat to sit staring at the bird, or be anywhere near it at all.

Just so you are aware, and can make changes to keep your birds safe :tup:

Flyfisher

Moving in
Real Name
Flyfisher
While your cat looks very lovely and cute, they are a great danger to birds. As prey animals, cats nearby can cause a lot of stress for the bird. Lots of bird owners have cats, but very few will allow the cat to sit staring at the bird, or be anywhere near it at all.

Just so you are aware, and can make changes to keep your birds safe :tup:
She is a Ragdoll. This breed is more like a dog than a cat. She doesn't jump on tables or counters, ever. I don't see her jumping on the cage. The canary sees her and couldn't care less. Now if the canary were outside the cage that would be another story. She is an indoor cat so her hunting instincts aren't pronounced. The canary caught her attention because he was bathing. Otherwise they pretty much ignore each other. I always keep an eye out none the less.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Just remember that intsincts can randomly kick in;) so if you decide you want your birdie to come out, then be safe, your cat is beautiful by the way, and even though I can't see your birdie well, but I bet he/she is very cute

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Beautiful cat and cute bird! As others have said, make sure cat and bird never come into contact with each other, there's a thread here on AA if you want more info. Other than that, very nice picture just please make sure that your bird isn't stressed about having that cat around.

Flyfisher

Moving in
Real Name
Flyfisher
Beautiful cat and cute bird! As others have said, make sure cat and bird never come into contact with each other, there's a thread here on AA if you want more info. Other than that, very nice picture just please make sure that your bird isn't stressed about having that cat around.
Thank you for the thread. I am one of those people that believes that the safest place for these small birds is in their cage, unless you have a dedicated room with no windows and mirrors. They will smash into them each and every time. If you let them out in a bedroom for example many times they end up behind the dresser. The only birds I would let out of their cages were a yellow nape and bluefront parrot that would stay ln top of the cages. I had them for 40 years. I had to rehome them because I wasn't able to give them the high level of care to which they were accustomed. The cat has been around birds all her life. It was the cat I would worry about when the parrots were out of their cages. When she was a kitten she was nipped by the yellow nape and after that she gave the birds a lot of respect and wide range. In summary all animals are different even within the same breed and species and no rule is 100% absolute.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
Thank you for the thread. I am one of those people that believes that the safest place for these small birds is in their cage, unless you have a dedicated room with no windows and mirrors. They will smash into them each and every time. If you let them out in a bedroom for example many times they end up behind the dresser.

I disagree, and I think it's important they get time out of the cage every day to actually fly, as birds should.

Flyfisher

Moving in
Real Name
Flyfisher
I disagree, and I think it's important they get time out of the cage every day to actually fly, as birds should.
That's ok to each their own. The people from PITA would strongly disagree with you. They believe birds or any animal should be kept as pets or in cages ever.:)

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I just want to let you know that birds are happier when they to come out and they live longer, but it's your decision, so if you ever change your mind let us know and we'll help you out if you have trouble:)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Everyone please remember to be respectful to others. People can have a discussion and disagree with each other without resorting to name calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.