• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One peculiar parrot

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
Hello! I've recently adopted a Goffins named Kiwi from a local animalr rescuer. We know nothing about her age or what sort of life she lived before finding us. When we first met her she was in a room with 2 other 'toos and a macaw and was VERY nervous (we've learned she prefers being in a 1 bird house.) We could tell she was unique but figured we'd get to know her better in time. Boy were we wrong. "Feed your bird fresh fruits and veggies" she refuses to eat anything but grapes and will lick peaches but refuses to eat them. "Supply your cockatoo with toys to keep them busy" we spend hundreds of dollars to find she likes chewing on cardboard, shredding paper, and nothing else. "Cockatoos love cuddles, dont let them get too much attention" she refuses to step off her cage and when she does you can scratch her head if you can touch her at all. Every attempt we've made to train her to do ANYTHING has failed, she is not motivated by treats, and would much rather sit in her cage minding her own buisness or dancing to 70s hits. She seems to contradict everything we know. We love her to pieces regardless, but some answers wouldnt hurt. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How long have you had her in your home? Parrots have a different concept of time and do not change quickly. If she hasn't had toys before, you will need to teach her how to play. Your girl's diet should include very few fruits - too much sugar. She should be eating 50% of a good pellet, 30-40% vegetables and the rest nuts (walnuts, almonds, pistachios, pine nuts). Yes Goffins (all parrots) should be kept busy, but if she has been deprived of stimulation she doesn't know what to do and you will need to find out how to stimulate her - PATIENTLY.

She may take several weeks to several months to become comfortable in her new surroundings and she is probably scared stiff. Take time just talking to her, acting silly around her and dropping a treat in her food cup. Leave her door open (when you are around) and let her come out on her own.

I'm so glad that you love her to pieces, that means success.

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
How long have you had her in your home? Parrots have a different concept of time and do not change quickly. If she hasn't had toys before, you will need to teach her how to play. Your girl's diet should include very few fruits - too much sugar. She should be eating 50% of a good pellet, 30-40% vegetables and the rest nuts (walnuts, almonds, pistachios, pine nuts). Yes Goffins (all parrots) should be kept busy, but if she has been deprived of stimulation she doesn't know what to do and you will need to find out how to stimulate her - PATIENTLY.

She may take several weeks to several months to become comfortable in her new surroundings and she is probably scared stiff. Take time just talking to her, acting silly around her and dropping a treat in her food cup. Leave her door open (when you are around) and let her come out on her own.

I'm so glad that you love her to pieces, that means success.
We've had her a few months, getting her to eat pellets has been an uphill battle but we enjoy nuts and LOVE LOVE LOVE sunflower seeds, nutriberry treats are also much enjoyed. As far as acting silly - she does have fun dancing or playing peekaboo. She also absolutely LOVES my boyfriend which makes me wonder if she associates females with something negative which is why she is strange with me or my stepmom. The rescuer only said she was given up because she was always biting.... and we have never seen her bite unless provoked :bored: red flag?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hi and welcome to AA. One of the hardest things about taking in a bird is the amount of patience one has to have. As Hankmacaw said, their version of time and ours are very different. I adopted a sun conure several years ago and it took him about a year before he completely settled in. Tikki is still settling and coming out of his shell a little more each day; we had very little history on him and he was approximately 6 years old at that time.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Kiwi.

Sounds like your girl has some really extensive baggage coming with her. It's going to take awhile for her to "unpack" that baggage...so you have to exercise even more patience with the situation.
Great advice. :)
"Supply your cockatoo with toys to keep them busy" we spend hundreds of dollars to find she likes chewing on cardboard, shredding paper, and nothing else.
Our 'toos love shredding paper...and ignore those expensive toys that we keep giving them. ;) Phone books are Milton's absolute favorite thing in the world. We work with the vendors here on AA to create some fine "toys" to Milty to chew and destroy...and he's like "MEH" to them...he gets around to them when get gets around to them. :rolleyes:
She also absolutely LOVES my boyfriend which makes me wonder if she associates females with something negative which is why she is strange with me or my stepmom.
Kiwi could have an aversion to women...my LSC detested women...my wife in particular.
The rescuer only said she was given up because she was always biting.... and we have never seen her bite unless provoked :bored: red flag?
Hard to tell...
We love her to pieces regardless,
This makes me smile. :) As @Hankmacaw said, with that kind of thought, things will turn out all right...all the best to you and Kiwi...:D

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Just another thought about food... "model" eating good food around Kiwi...make sure she sees you "eat" and enjoy what you're eating! I know it sounds crazy, but this technique does work with a lot of fussy eaters...they see a "flock member" (you) eating something...so it must be OK for me to eat!
We've used this technique with Milton and Buddy (Nanday Conure) with success...give it a whirl with Kiwi...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I adopted a goffin from a rescue. We fostered him for a few months and then adopted him. So in total he's been with us for about 16 months. A few months is nothing to a cockatoo- just wait. LOL. You are in your "honeymoon" period with your too. She is still getting used to you and her new home. Having fostered Elvis for a few months before adopting, I thought we knew what he was like. (Sweet and he's still sweet). But he didn't become "Elvis" until he was with us about 6-7 months. When we first got him, he preferred to hang out quietly on top of his cage. He would come to us for short periods of time but then go back to his cage. He sort of played with toys but not to the degree I expected. And the only vegetable he would eat was corn on the cob.

Then, he became "Elvis". He is sweet, smart, funny, demanding and incredibly active. He flies all around the house. Has to see what we're doing and if it interests him, will hang out on our shoulder, if not, he's off. When he wants to be cuddly, he is. Like snuggling up under my chin and sleeping against my face. He destroys at least 2 toys a week. And is becoming a much better eater. Although a lot of people don't like birds in their kitchen and for safety reasons, I agree, but I found if I let Elvis watch me chop up fruit and vegetables, he wants to try them. So even though half the time I have to hand feed them to him or leave them out where he can "steal" them, he now loves apples, zucchini, carrots, etc.

And beware- goffins are really mechanical. Elvis can unlock the top part of his cage from the inside. He's an expert at unscrewing things. And likes to get into everything.

I guess basically- just give Kiwi time. I think in a few more months you'll start to see the "real" Kiwi.

Oh, and these are Elvis's favorite toys. We clip them to his cage and he unclips them. He loves them. Amazon.com : YUYUSO 100 Piece Plastic C-clips Hooks Chain Links C-links Rat Parrot Bird Toy Cage : Pet Supplies

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello! I've recently adopted a Goffins named Kiwi from a local animalr rescuer. We know nothing about her age or what sort of life she lived before finding us. When we first met her she was in a room with 2 other 'toos and a macaw and was VERY nervous (we've learned she prefers being in a 1 bird house.) We could tell she was unique but figured we'd get to know her better in time. Boy were we wrong. "Feed your bird fresh fruits and veggies" she refuses to eat anything but grapes and will lick peaches but refuses to eat them. "Supply your cockatoo with toys to keep them busy" we spend hundreds of dollars to find she likes chewing on cardboard, shredding paper, and nothing else. "Cockatoos love cuddles, dont let them get too much attention" she refuses to step off her cage and when she does you can scratch her head if you can touch her at all. Every attempt we've made to train her to do ANYTHING has failed, she is not motivated by treats, and would much rather sit in her cage minding her own buisness or dancing to 70s hits. She seems to contradict everything we know. We love her to pieces regardless, but some answers wouldnt hurt. Has anyone seen anything like this?

It can take birds different amounts of time to feel comfortable in a new environment. Even a bird that someone has had for a long time can act differently with a new cage, new toys or new people around. Goffin's are not necessarily the cuddle bugs like some of the larger cockatoos. They have a tendency to be very independent and do what they want when they want to. Continue to offer her a variety of foods, more veggies rather than fruit. My Goffin's likes mixed vegetables (frozen kind that I cook). Which types of pellets have you tried with her?
I've put a new toy in my Goffin's cage and sometimes she won't go near that for months and then decides that it is something that isn't going to hurt her and starts playing with it. How about getting a birdie skewer and putting some pieces of cardboard on that and then adding a few pieces of wood, maybe start with soft wood such as balsa? Check out California Bird Nerds and Blu's Bird Toys for skewers.

Goffin's are weird and silly, IMO. They are very intelligent and not always predictable what they will like or dislike (just like any other bird). It's great that you are not giving up on her. I have had my Goffin's for 29 years and I am sometimes surprised by the things she does and the way she acts. She does like to be scratched/petted but on her terms. She will not stay with me for long periods of time. If I bring her downstairs she immediately leaves, hops upstairs and goes back into the bird room. She is very mechanically inclined as are most Goffin's. Make sure that the cage she is in is escape proof. Goffin's have been nicknamed the "Houdini" of the bird world and there is a good reason for that.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Our rb2 Freddy has been with us 9 months the end of August. For several months all he did was pretty much sit and observe. It was about 4 months before he came out of his cage, and a little longer before he would step up for us. My fiancee and I would take turns sitting with the cage open talking to him, or sitting with him while we read or watch tv, he came out on his own after what seemed a long time, a good 4 months. Then he would go to only one person for several weeks, then another person. He was 7 yrs old when we got him, and was traumatized as a baby. So he didn't like people but you wouldn't know it now. It's been a long road. He loves cardboard rings, and ABC blocks the best. I get him the small size for his wittle paws lol. He goes to my fiancee and I, and just now will try new things without being too afraid. They progress SLOW. Their instinct is to be afraid of different things. So they need to learn what you give them is safe. Right now she doesn't know that. I was crazy about Freddy from the day I met him. That keeps you going!

I also bought lots of toys he hasn't touched yet, but he will, and when he does, I have plenty! He's just now expressed curiosity in a ball I got him back in early spring I think it was....I also eat every meal I am able to with Freddy. It's usually lunch, and we have a salad. I always put something different in it, but bird safe for him :)

Last edited:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's not that unusual. It's common for poorly socialized birds to not know how to play with toys and not want to eat a healthy diet because they've rarely had one in the past. Also, goffin's seem to be a mixed bag in the cuddly department. Mine is not usually, several people here do not have super cuddly goffin's. They might still have a moment here and there, but they aren't all sit on you for hours and you can't put them down like the stereotyped umbrella. Mine usually does not want cuddles. If I let him out, he spends more time flying around looking for stuff to chew. He can suddenly get very cuddly right before being put back in his cage, but that's a ploy to prevent being put away and we both know it.

Birds that don't want to eat a healthy diet either don't know that healthy food is edible or they are pigging out on so much unhealthy food that they don't want healthy. Why eat your broccoli when you can have a plate full of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all day every day. I ration the seed and pellets for most of my birds. They get enough so that their protein, fat and calorie needs are taken care of, but they have about half the day in which their food bowl contains only healthy food and if they don't want to eat it, they just sit there and feel hungry. And I don't let them load up on a day's worth of food in 10 minutes at night by filling their bowl with what they really want. My goffin's gets about 1.5-2 tablespoons of a combination seed and pellets. When that is gone, its veggies and a few fruits. A lot of Australian parrots apparently prefer veggies to fruit. Bell peppers, celery, sliced summer squash, cucumber etc. Plus a couple blue berries or small piece of apple or cantaloupe etc. I usually do 2-5 veggies for every 1 piece of fruit.

Toys can actually be harder for birds that aren't used to them. The feeding and toy issues may just be because your bird is new and nervous. Sometimes they just want to eat their favorite comfort food and sit on their perch trying not to be noticed. Or, it could be she doesn't know what to do with them.