• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One or two? Wings clipped or not?

Glamourfaust

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Okay, I've decided to make the plunge! Now the debate: one or two? I'll probably start with one and see how it goes. But if you think I should just start with two...

And to clip or not to clip? I'm going to create a bird room that will have no function other than hanging out with the birds so it will be a safe space. If their wings are clipped, I'm afraid the room won't be as fun for them and they won't get as much exercise. Thoughts?

TDF2

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello! I think 2, they will bond to each other more, then you don’t have to worry about if they will get along later down the road, if you know your going to eventually get another bird. I don’t clip wigs, I love to see them fly.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I wouldn’t clip wings because it causes huge confidence issues in most birds.

If you decide to do it, go for two because 1 causes lopsided flight, Blizzard was only able to fly in circles for months because her feathers grew back one wing at a time which made her half clipped.

Edit: I just noticed this is on linnie landing, linnies are quite heavily built and not the best fliers so clipping their wings could cause flight to be very difficult for them.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have some experience with your question. I brought home my Gigi, a clipped female 3 years ago. At the time I was told that a clipped bird would be easier to bond with. We did bond well and she eventually grew in her flights and became a good flyer. She seemed like a happy girl, but I couldn't shake off the feeling that she would be happier with another of her own kind. A month ago I brought home my Dori, an unclipped baby female Linnie. I've had no problem building a relationship with her, despite her ability to fly away if she chooses. She really likes me and flies often to my shoulder and lap. Gigi and Dori are building their relationship, and I think in time they will be good friends. But if I were to do it over again, I'd get 2 unclipped baby birds at the start. Maybe both males too.

I've also heard that Linnies aren't necessarily great flyers, but that's not my experience. Both of my girls fly very well. Just today Dori was looping around the living room and opted to fly UNDER the coffee table on her way to the cage.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you decide to do it, go for two because 1 causes lopsided flight
I think OP means, one or two birds ;)

@Leih brought home two at the same time. Maybe she has some insight.

Glamourfaust

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I'm really torn on the one or two bird question. I always come back to the day when one of the bonded pair dies and the other is left alone. :( Plus, my kids already question my sanity, two birds might convince them I have lost it.

I do think that I am going to get and keep them unclipped. I think it will make them healthier and happier and that in turn will make me happier. The bird room will be a safe set up for them, the only risk is the door but it only goes to a hallway, not outside.

The first breeder I found doesn't have any weaned babies this week but has a great travel cage that I can't find anywhere else. I found two other breeders (that are even closer to home) that have birds ready to go. I'll enquire about whether or not they are clipped. One has nine cobalt babies to choose among and the other two. Decisions, decisions...

I am ridiculously excited.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I always come back to the day when one of the bonded pair dies and the other is left alone.
Having 3 bonded pairs, plus one pair having their young with them, I certainly know the worry you speak of.
But that is the price for love, inevitably one will end up without the other. It´s only the same as us humans.

You could always bring home one now, and another later on, like Dona did. Just see how things go and how you feel :)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a tension rod with a sheer drape on it, to prevent the girls from entering the kitchen. It works well and doesn't look tooooo ridiculous. :)

Gigibirds

I would get another bird, and I would leave their wings clipped! If they can have their own, safe, bird room, then let them fly! Usually birds are happier with a companion, too. Good luck!!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My two linnies were clipped when I got them and I let them become flighted. I really encouraged them to fly, they were hesitant at first. Now they will fly laps together. I have found that my two aren't terribly interested in me, since they are a bonded pair. They don't step up and are entirely hands off, but they do come over to see me and make noises at me ("hurry up with the food!") Linnie puberty was challenging as they went through it at different times. My boy who was very timid completely came out of his shell once he was flighted. I tried target training with them and found that it's really difficult unless you separate them, like let one out at a time, but I have never done that because I just don't think they'll tolerate it very well! They have been together since they hatched so they get nervous when the other isn't near. And, they are very protective of each other. I think there are pros and cons to either scenario, but I love having two. I wish I'd gotten a partner for my lovebird. I personally definitely wouldn't clip, the idea of it being safer is mostly a misconception. My av said to me "inside a house they can't gain enough to speed to do much damage if they hit the wall, " which I agree. They can get hurt, but they can also get hurt when clipped. I'd much rather allow them to fly, they're birds, it's literally the entire function of their physiology to fly.