• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One or two lovies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mviss

Meeting neighbors
I would like to know if it's better to have one or two lovies as I would like to bond with one or both. I started off with one budgie (Pickles) and he was quite tame, but my bf felt that he needs friends (also because my Sennie bit off most of his toes :eek: and we thought that he will adapt better with friends, which he did :dancing:). So then I bought Skye and Star and Pickles became wild(er) again. Well I can take him out of the cage without him biting me, but he's making a huge racket like he's being murdered :hehe:. So now, do I get only one lovie and keep him tame and bonded with me, or is he/she going to be to lonely? I work full day (8-5) but he will have company as he will be close to my Sennie and the 3 musketeers (budgies). Will this work?

Also how much noise do they make? More than a Sennie? Mine only screams when there's a car in the driveway, good watch dog!

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I have 3 lovebirds now, but only started with one then decided that he needed a friend. But, my first born lovie (LOL!) wants nothing to do with his younger siblings. And, I'm not even allowed to pay attention to the other 2 lovies without my first one sulking.

It is up to you, really. There are no textbook case lovebirds in my opinion. They are all different. Peanut is so bonded to me that he doesn't want the other lovebirds in this house. So, if you even think you will eventually get another lovebird, then my suggestion is to get 2 from the start.

If you keep them in separate cages and divide the time with you equally between the 2 of them, they should form a friendship with you and with each other.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I also have three lovies right now. Leyla (female) and Nin (male) are both almost 5 and I've had since March of '05. I got them the same day, from the same breeder (handfed), and they've always, always shared a cage. Kermit (unknown gender) is a foster and has been here about 3.5 months, we don't know his age, and he's not tame (was in a not-so-great home).

Leyla and Nin are my babies, the loves of my life! When I brought them home, I was 12 and really never considered that they may prefer each other over me, since I already had two tiels that tolerated each other, but loved people. Leyla and Nin love each other. They're definitely a bonded pair: Nin feeds Leyla, they mate, they can't be separated, etc. They are very happy together. But they're also very bonded to me. They'd spend all day on my shoulder if I could let them:rolleyes: (See attached photo of our snuggle time:heart:)

So I agree that it depends on the birds, but it also depends on the person: how much time you spend with them, HOW you spend time with them, etc.

As for noise, I don't find my two loud. Noisy, definitely, they love to chatter. But since having Kermit home, my lovies seem so quiet! They vocalize much less than Kerm, the single guy. Personally, I love listening to all their noises.

Attachments

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
If I had it to do all over again, I would have definately got two. However, I would have gotten two males from the same clutch. If you can get the breeder to DNA by eggshell you have a better chance.

Ginger

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I also have three lovies right now. Leyla (female) and Nin (male) are both almost 5 and I've had since March of '05. I got them the same day, from the same breeder (handfed), and they've always, always shared a cage. Kermit (unknown gender) is a foster and has been here about 3.5 months, we don't know his age, and he's not tame (was in a not-so-great home).

Leyla and Nin are my babies, the loves of my life! When I brought them home, I was 12 and really never considered that they may prefer each other over me, since I already had two tiels that tolerated each other, but loved people. Leyla and Nin love each other. They're definitely a bonded pair: Nin feeds Leyla, they mate, they can't be separated, etc. They are very happy together. But they're also very bonded to me. They'd spend all day on my shoulder if I could let them:rolleyes: (See attached photo of our snuggle time:heart:)

So I agree that it depends on the birds, but it also depends on the person: how much time you spend with them, HOW you spend time with them, etc.

As for noise, I don't find my two loud. Noisy, definitely, they love to chatter. But since having Kermit home, my lovies seem so quiet! They vocalize much less than Kerm, the single guy. Personally, I love listening to all their noises.
Oh my gosh, Nin and Leyla are so adorable:heart:

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Lovebirds are not meant to be by themselves, they are HIGHLY mate oriented and really suffer when they don't have the constant interaction they can only get from another lovie BUT they do choose their own mates so, sometimes, you can have two or more birds that are of different gender but are not bonded but this is only because they haven't found 'the one', yet. And yes, a bonded pair can bond with you, too.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Oh Megan! They are just too precious!!

Wow Beatriz! What a way to offend a bunch of lovebird owners! There are some perfectly content singular lovebirds out there. Peanut being one of them.

Lolle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Louise
Looking at how Chico was doing alone i would always keep 2 lovebirds together.

And omg Leyla and Nin looks SO cute there!

Status
Not open for further replies.