• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One flier, one clipped.

Breeza

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bree
Hello people, my name is Bree, i am currently recovering from the heart ache of losing my 9 month old Cockatiel "Johnny" on Sunday. He was everything to me. What i did wrong was, he was clipped when i bouggt him as a baby and i used to go outside with him on my shoulder and he would stay there. But i never clipped him from the pet shop. I felt cruel to do so as a bird was given the gift of flight so why take it away. This was my thoughts. Not judging anyone who does clip. I understand why you would clip as it prevents the heartache i am going through now. He got spooked on my shoulder then was taken off in the wind down the gully. I looked for him and called him for hours but when i foumd him, he was in pieces from a feral cat my heart is bleeding. He could sing many songs. Say many words. And was very loving. Since then i have purchased 2 new babies. One was clipped and one is not. The one that is not is a very skilled flier. The one that is not seems sad to see the other fly. I will not clip either of these birds. But i will never take a bird outside again as long as i live. Here is a 0icture of my 2 new babies 20210608_115419.jpg

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Sorry for your loss Bree, and welcome to the forum.

I'll point this out as you get settled...

Photographs of "unsafe" situations: Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions on bird care. We are here to educate and help each other do the best we can do for the birds' best interest. This may bring up discussions on topics such as birds & other pets. Over the years we have seen many of these situations become losses. As Avian Avenue is a close community of people we take those losses as our own. To educate and bring awareness of these potentially deadly opportunities we ask that you do not post photos of your birds in dangerous situations.

The source of that guideline is a good place to get oriented.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about your bird. Your two new cockatiels look lovely. Are those mannequins in your home?

:welcome2:

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Hello people, my name is Bree, i am currently recovering from the heart ache of losing my 9 month old Cockatiel "Johnny" on Sunday. He was everything to me. What i did wrong was, he was clipped when i bouggt him as a baby and i used to go outside with him on my shoulder and he would stay there. But i never clipped him from the pet shop. I felt cruel to do so as a bird was given the gift of flight so why take it away. This was my thoughts. Not judging anyone who does clip. I understand why you would clip as it prevents the heartache i am going through now. He got spooked on my shoulder then was taken off in the wind down the gully. I looked for him and called him for hours but when i foumd him, he was in pieces from a feral cat my heart is bleeding. He could sing many songs. Say many words. And was very loving. Since then i have purchased 2 new babies. One was clipped and one is not. The one that is not is a very skilled flier. The one that is not seems sad to see the other fly. I will not clip either of these birds. But i will never take a bird outside again as long as i live. Here is a 0icture of my 2 new babies View attachment 385536

omg!! I am soo sooo sorry!
im only 6 weeks into being a bird mom!And I can’t imagine anything happening to my girl!! My heart hurts for you! I’m praying the lord comforts your heart!! I pray those two new little souls can fill your life with tons of happy moments and good memories of little Johnny! (As much as it hurts to remember we never want to forget)I’m sure they will love you extra hard in return for the love you showed him. I wish I could say something that would make u feel better but I can’t... praying for your heart Bree xoxoxoxo

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

I am so sorry for your loss :(

Clipping does tend to give many newer bird owners the impression that their bird is safer which is such a sad thing. Many newer bird owners are not really aware of just how many serious dangers there are for our birds, we here see the pain and memories of sad endings every day. Some of the most common ways people tend to loose their birds is often due to doing things they were unaware are seriously deadly to their birds- Teflon and other cooking accidents, clipped birds flying off, cats, dogs and other pets injuring leading to death or straight out killing, accidental squashing and metal toxicity are some of the main things we see here daily.

You can safely take your new birds outside in a carrier or on harnesses so you can still enjoy outside time with your new guys (sunshine is good for them) and also keep them safe.

I hope you enjoy being a member here :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Bree 1.welcome signs.gif

Sorry to read what happened to Johnny.

Godzilla