• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

On the way to the vet

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
About to take Oliver to the vet for a simple checkup and the vet wants to take a look at his brown cere again. I get so stress taking him to the vet even if it’s not for an illness.

Here he is in the travel cage. He hates it:facepalm:
9BAC9870-02F9-4B66-BAFA-67DD9C13750D.jpeg

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Poor little dude, travel cages aren’t much fun.

Here’s hoping for a clean bill of health!

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Poor little dude, travel cages aren’t much fun.

Here’s hoping for a clean bill of health!
Me too! I had to grab him to put him in the travel cage :( he knows what it means

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I will put our birds in their travel cages periodically when I am doing a deep clean of their normal cages or to go out on the deck in nice weather. It helps to get them use to the travel cages and not just associate the cage with the vet. Mine go right in now so you could try it to see if it will help in the future. Good luck at the vet!!

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I hope everything goes well :)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hope everything goes well

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Everything went fine! Vet said Oliver was at a perfect weight, his feathers looked good, and everything inside sounded good. She still couldn’t confidently explain why his cere is brown now but she did mention male budgie feminization and also possibly teeny tiny lumps on his testies that could also explain it. (She said if there was anything down there that didn’t show up on the X-ray then it would be benign and not life threatening)
She said she wanted to see Winston next so I’ll be taking him sometime soon. I unfortunately can’t bring them to the vet together because they just cause chaos.

I’ve been seeing the same vet for 4 years so i feel better whenever I talk to her

Here is Oliver strapped in the car on the way back. Remember to buckle up!
18E1E1B8-572B-4C53-8D1F-56BC9447D17D.jpeg

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I will put our birds in their travel cages periodically when I am doing a deep clean of their normal cages or to go out on the deck in nice weather. It helps to get them use to the travel cages and not just associate the cage with the vet. Mine go right in now so you could try it to see if it will help in the future. Good luck at the vet!!
They have a bigger travel cage that they both go into every so often for baths and other stuff but it’s way too big to take to the vet. They used to go in the small one no problem until I had to give them medicine and I would put them in that cage to make it easier for me to towel them. Now they don’t trust it at all!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
In future I would slip the seat belt over the front of the cage rather than the side- if something were to happen your cage would not be saved by the belt. So glad to see you did strap it in though! So many people do not.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
In future I would slip the seat belt over the front of the cage rather than the side- if something were to happen your cage would not be saved by the belt. So glad to see you did strap it in though! So many people do not.
Part of it is over the front but it’s blocked by the blanket I draped over the cage. I’m put the other part over it as well next time thank you for your advice!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Personally I transport Secret in my back seat. Air bags.....

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Personally I transport Secret in my back seat. Air bags.....
Same for me and I pick the middle seat if I can as I also have curtain airbags- they are great for adults, not so much so for pets and children..

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Good idea! My airbags on that seat automatically turn off when there is something on it under a certain weight so I don’t think I have to worry about that.
Wow. I have not heard of that before- I wonder how common that function is.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My 2008 car has an automatic shut off for the airbag if it realized something was in the seat that weighed less than an adult. My purse turns them off, my bird cages the same. My 2023 vehicle has the same feature.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m not sure I thought it was common! It might be an older vehicle thing?
My 2008 car has an automatic shut off for the airbag if it realized something was in the seat that weighed less than an adult. My purse turns them off, my bird cages the same. My 2023 vehicle has the same feature.
I will have to have a look at my manual and see if mine does the same thing cos I am curious now.

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block
I will have to have a look at my manual and see if mine does the same thing cos I am curious now.
It probably does. One way to tell is have someone sit in the passenger seat unbuckled while u drive around. If u get the warning to buckle up then that seat has the sensor to determine if someone is sitting on it or not.

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
None of your business :)
Everything went fine! Vet said Oliver was at a perfect weight, his feathers looked good, and everything inside sounded good. She still couldn’t confidently explain why his cere is brown now but she did mention male budgie feminization and also possibly teeny tiny lumps on his testies that could also explain it. (She said if there was anything down there that didn’t show up on the X-ray then it would be benign and not life threatening)
She said she wanted to see Winston next so I’ll be taking him sometime soon. I unfortunately can’t bring them to the vet together because they just cause chaos.

I’ve been seeing the same vet for 4 years so i feel better whenever I talk to her

Here is Oliver strapped in the car on the way back. Remember to buckle up!
View attachment 421547
Do you take him for a check up once a year?
Winnie seems pretty happy in his cage because we go to our holiday house quite often and bring him with us. We keep a flight cage at the house so he is only in the little one for 45 minutes for the car ride. He loves it! He just chats away to me and sings happily :rolleyes: