• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

On average would you say TAG do better with other birds than CAG

KonureKing

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tom
Hello I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on the behavioral differences between the TAG and the CAG. From what I read online. The TAG is more laid back and isn't as much of a one person bird. Can anyone give personal experience on this? I have a green cheek conure that I raised from a chick that's a complete joy. She's almost 4 now and she's very well behaved. I don't have any real worries on her end. I know online it says greys aren't really big on other species. But I thought if I got a TAG (which are supposed to be more welcoming) as a baby and hand fed it with the conure it might imprint on both of us? Any thoughts? I'm still probably a couple years away from pulling the trigger, but it's something I think about often. Thanks for your input.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

If you already have a Conure you may wish to read up on the health issues that new world birds can face when housed around old world birds.
Another thing to take into account is babies do not always grow up to be more bonded to the owner- it can sometimes be the total opposite as it is not natural for them to wish to bond with their parent figure regardless of whether that parent figure is a bird or human.

Some links for you to check out on the two topics I mentioned if you like.....

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In the wild, African Greys do not mingle with other species, and tend to be less likely to get along with other birds because of it.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
In the wild, African Greys do not mingle with other species, and tend to be less likely to get along with other birds because of it.

This is REALLY interesting and the kind of insight I wish I had found earlier!
Even though I already decided a grey is not best for us right now, I'm more confident I made the right decision after reading that.

Also gives me ideas about how we might more successfully handle one in the future if my bf still really wants one.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I also caution mixing beak sizes. I have a cockatoo and cockatiels. I don't let them out together. I am very happy that I have both but life would be easier if they could all be out at the same time.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have limited experience with TAGs, but the one I did interact with was very high strung compared to the CAG. In all fairness, the TAG had come from a stressful environment and had started barbering his wings. They were in horrible shape. I'm going to say he's not a typical case. Any time you got near him he would scream in terror and picking him up was always a chore. Luckily he wasn't a biter. The CAG is laid back and just hangs out on his tree most of the day. He's very quiet. We know when he's being very vocal that he's stressed about something. Luckily the TAG went home with some great people and he has thrived under their care.

Reactions: Ali