• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG...I love "Silkies" take a look at the 3 I got Saturday.

Cathy AZ

Walking the driveway
Yes, They are a breed of chicken. :xflove: Buit they are furry looking and oh so soft. I was surfing and found a breed I have never knew existed. I went on my local FB Farm & Garden and asked if anyone breeds these "Silkies" And someone does breed them local. :) I was happy to hear that. I got in touch with the breeder and she has a 42 waiting day. She takes the eggs and incubates them and when they hatch you come get them. Well, I marked it on my calendar and Saturday the breeder got in touch with me that someone backed out of taking these three baby chicks. They are 3 weeks old. And so adorable. they have fluffy little butt like cottontails.
I have asked for all different colors. I may have Porcelain, Partridge and Splash (this one may be Partridge mixed, not sure).
The breeder told me that they are a lap chicken. :jawdrop1:

Attachments

Cathy AZ

Walking the driveway
The grey one is called a splash(with blue) and brown reddish one is called Partridge color and the off white is Porcelain. Look at what they look like as adults. I will have soft "silkie" chickens and they also will produce my breakfast. :hug8:

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They are the cutest things ever!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Wow! They are gorgeous and VERY interesting! :heart:

Callista15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Callista(Cally)
Do you have other chickens? If so, be very careful. Silkies are extremely passive, and when combined with their fragile skull structure, means that other chickens can kill them or brain damage them in a matter of minutes.

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
They are so cute. Are they the ones that lay the different colored eggs (blue, pink, brown, green)
?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
OMG! The cuteness!!! :heart:

Cathy AZ

Walking the driveway
They are so cute. Are they the ones that lay the different colored eggs (blue, pink, brown, green)
?

They lay white eggs. The only way you get different color eggs is having different breeds. Right now I get brown, dark brown, green and greenish bluish color eggs. Yes, I have other chickens. But plan to keep my 3 special girls separate. My 9 hens and 1 rooster are much older it will not work at all to mix them.

The Porcelain baby chick keeps almost challenging the other 2. It is funny to watch.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Can't wait to see what yours turn out like. I was looking for a splash but couldn't find any in my area.

Cathy AZ

Walking the driveway
Your blue Silkie is so pretty, KimKim. I want to get that color too. Do you have a photo of the size of eggs she lays?

Cathy AZ

Walking the driveway
We decided on names :)
Saffron, Sahara and Sukaina ((Sue-cain-a)Porcelain colored one, meaning, Beautiful and peaceful))
Because I wanted Saffron for the Partridge colored one, and then Sahara for the Splash one(it might have some partridge coloring in it too) they started with and "S" so we named the royal Porcelian one Sukaina, she is more fluffy than the other two right now. She will be beautiful. AND Yes, I am hoping for all girls. Can't tell till they are older. When one may start crowing :jawdrop1: :hehe: .

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
She's a year old, so maybe the eggs will get a little bigger.
image.jpg
Next to one of my bigger eggs
image.jpg