• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG HELP!!! My Cockatiel ate avocado oil!!

Kiwiscremsong

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
My cockatiel, Kiwi just ate a tiny bit of avocado oil and i bet i am just freaking out over nothing but im really concerned i cant go to a vet because it is 1:00 am. And i do not think its necessary. ( i dont know why im freaked out )And here's how it happened, " i was about to shower and i was playing with my bird i showed him. Himself in the mirror and he pecked but not that kind of peck like a let me taste this kind of peck and i looked to see what it was and it was the TINY SPECK OF MY LIFE ( not even 1 centimeter of dried oil. My mom keeps oil to put on her skin in the bathroom i dont know for sure which oil it was but i have a pretty good guess that it was the avocado oil. Because that is the one she uses the absoulute most. It been 1 hr and he isnt showing and symptoms of avocado toxin. Please help!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is it straight oil or is it a mix of things to make a body oil? Were the only ingredients avocado oil? I think it will be helpful to know exactly what kind of oils you have in the bathroom (as you are not entirely sure which oil it was) and familiarize yourself with all the ingredients so that someone with some more knowledge may be able to better help you when they come along. If you are certain that it was straight avocado oil, have a quick look online to see what kind of symptoms you need to look out for.

Hopefully someone will be here soon to give you some assistance. Also maybe consider posting this in the emergency section I think it is called 911. I am sorry I can not be of more help. Fingers crossed all will be well.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Okay, so one thing to know is that avocado is one of those things that have a lot of questions around it because a lot of birds DO eat avocado without harm (not saying you should feed it). But we ALSO know that it is sometimes deadly. It seems to be mostly the skin and pit and the fruit touching those things that are the issue.

At this point the best thing will be to monitor him and put some clean paper towel in his cage to monitor his poops better. Try to get him to drink some water or juice or something to flush his system a little.

Kiwiscremsong

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Emily
The ingredients in the avocado oil is. Persea Gratissima and Avocado oil im going to read the description condition: Skin in need of hyrdation and moisturization solution: 100% pure avocado oil is a natural nutrient rich vegetable oil. Heavy in texture avocado oil helps to keep skin supple while throughly moisturization and soften

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
One of my birds drank/ate some avacado oil when I spilled some making a dressing. He drank more than a lick and he had no ill affects. I would imagine your FID will be fine. Just keep an eye on Kiwi just to be safe. Keep us all informed please! Don't freak out!
5919.png stock-vector-never-trouble-trouble-till-trouble-troubles-you-1013305417.jpg

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
I would monitor him for any changes in behavior but I think he'll be fine. To my understanding, avocado isn't acutely toxic. I think the issues come from repeated consumption where toxic compounds build up, similar to chocolate. Kiwi was offered some food cooked in avocado oil once by his stupid humans without even thinking about the fact it was cooked in AVOCADO oil. He was fine. My moms bird actually bit into and ate a few bites of an avocado left out on the counter and was fine. Definitely not something to be a regular part f their diet, but I don't think a small amount ingested accidentally hurts them. In fact, if I'm not mistaken there are reports of some of the wild parrots in California eating avocados off trees with seemingly no ill effects.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The toxicity in Avocado lies mostly in a thin layer just beneath the skin (and around the pit). Very similar to potatoes. Genetics made it that way to discourage animals from eating them by putting their "defence" near the surface. Peeling the fruit strips most of that off (peel thick).

I doubt that a manufactured/refined product has any of that toxicity left in it. It's not avocado. It's avocado "oil".

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Thank you guys Kiwi is fine and I really thought he was going to die before i read all your posts thank you guys again!!!
Glad to hear Kiwi is fine!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
John is correct. I got in a little tiff on FB about this. People were saying the entire avocado was toxic to birds. Most of the toxins are skin and below and in the seed. Its a good idea to call the vet right away when something happens you are not sure of that may effect your bird. I did that with a plumbers glue workers were using when putting in a new furnace in my apartment and they did not tell me they were going to do this. OMG I was in a small panic because the fumes were so strong. Got the birds out in the hallway after calling the vet and was told "its not good for them at all".

Last edited:

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This is very good to know, as I'd always thought that every single thing about ingesting avocados was deadly to birds.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome