• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG! Baby fish! (sorry, no pics)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I will straight up be honest and say that I’ve been a terrible fish owner this last few months and have only done the bare minimum for my fish in my little pond.
The water was clear and clean enough up till the last two weeks but my plants needed repotting desperately and were choking themselves out and then over two days the water turned green so after adding the stuff that normally sorts it out and changing more than half the water I’ve been battling with the horrid algae since. Early last week I started bucketing more water out hoping to nearly empty the pond and give it a real good clean but I was stopped in my tracks half way through when I found a single baby fish. I tried to catch the baby fish but had no luck so I quickly filled the pond back up to try and give mini fish a better chance of finding more hiding places because in my shock and surprise I didn’t know what else to do. I’ve recently thrown buckets of water out of the pond without inspecting them first (my fish are fairly big), we’ve had a frog living in the pond, there is still the odd huge spider and magpie trying to fish in there, my pond is really not set up for babies to hatch and grow and there’s the big ever feasting fish- how did this little one survive?
He’s been really doing quite well staying far enough away and well hidden from the big fish to stay safe up till now so I’m hoping with all my heart that he can stay safe till I can either manage to catch him or he grows big enough to not be a snack for the big guys.

I just had to share because I still can’t believe I have a baby fish! Lol. I will share pics if I can get some.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
He's probably been hiding among the plants. When our Cories (Catfish) had eggs, I rescued them and made a makeshift nursery. Only one survived to adulthood, but at one point, a family member carelessly tilted the nursery, and the baby swam free in to the main tank. I was stunned to finally spot that same baby... and it continued to survive and grow. They are very good at hiding when they're small like that.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! Some day I'll have to write about my unexpected baby fish in our pond. It was quite an adventure. And we ultimately decided we aren't capable of taking care of fish. LOL.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope you get pictures!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hope you get pictures!
I’ve tried but all I get is a picture that looks like I’m seeing imaginary fish :laugh:
I made my son come look at it yesterday just incase they (the family) thought I was really crazy lol.