• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Omg. Anything else I should do?

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Louise usually flies like a champ. Tonight, however…Omg. Louise just flew to me in my room, went to land, panicked, flew into the bathroom...and landed IN THE TOILET BOWL. She bypassed her play stand and other perching places.
I got her out in seconds, tried to rinse her feet, nope. Misted her, then got her in the shower for a fuller, longer rinse.
nothing- no chemicals-were in the bowl.
Anything else I should be thinking about doing?

Thank you for any advice.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think as long as she's acting normal and she showered well that you should be fine, for the future keep toilet lids down and bathroom doors closed :)

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If there wasnt any chemicals in the bowl and louise has been cleaned i would think all would be ok i would suggest keeping the seat/lid down on the tilet though

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
If there wasnt any chemicals in the bowl and louise has been cleaned i would think all would be ok i would suggest keeping the seat/lid down on the tilet though
A safety thing I never considered. Thank you.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So you’re going to be grossed out by this, but it’s rather pertinent.

We just had a CEU course on norovirus, (which if you don’t know is a rather yucky calici virus that’s gastrointestinal in nature and there’s lots of flushing involved with a case of noro:depressed: ) and anywho- due to the design nature of toilets and the overall proclivity for them to be used and flushed regularly, supposedly they’re actually much cleaner from a bacterial and viral standpoint than a kitchen sink. The epidemiologist specializing in Noro actually informed us that due to this, we need to be informing the nurses and patients to clean kitchen surfaces more than focusing on their bathrooms during Noro outbreaks.

Why is this relevant? Well, besides being just plain gross- if a toilet is less likely to harbor a calici viruses as a kitchen sink? My worry of a bird contacting illness from plopping into a toilet is non-existent.

So long as little miss Lou Lou didn’t become submerged and inhale water, I personally wouldn’t worry about fecal borne bacterium or virus.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
So you’re going to be grossed out by this, but it’s rather pertinent.

We just had a CEU course on norovirus, (which if you don’t know is a rather yucky calici virus that’s gastrointestinal in nature and there’s lots of flushing involved with a case of noro:depressed: ) and anywho- due to the design nature of toilets and the overall proclivity for them to be used and flushed regularly, supposedly they’re actually much cleaner from a bacterial and viral standpoint than a kitchen sink. The epidemiologist specializing in Noro actually informed us that due to this, we need to be informing the nurses and patients to clean kitchen surfaces more than focusing on their bathrooms during Noro outbreaks.

Why is this relevant? Well, besides being just plain gross- if a toilet is less likely to harbor a calici viruses as a kitchen sink? My worry of a bird contacting illness from plopping into a toilet is non-existent.

So long as little miss Lou Lou didn’t become submerged and inhale water, I personally wouldn’t worry about fecal borne bacterium or virus.
Thank you, that is a relief. She didn't submerge but was looking out and seemed to be saying hurry up and get me out of here.... I guess we are always learning something new. I never thought of a toilet as a risk, nothing to perch on near it and requires a pretty straight drop in. I don't know how she actually achieved this, I was busy getting out of bed to go after her--she hates the bathroom because she hates the shower. I knew it would be trouble....just not that trouble. Thought it would be dangerous panic flying. It's hard to get her into and to stay in the shower-I stopped that for her long ago, but tonight, no problems. Lids are down, I need to get in that habit.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Sweet Louise

It’s terribly not funny, but I’m picturing Louise looking rather concerned, standing in two inches of toilet water, and sending out “Hurry Up! Come get me! I didn’t plan for this!!” vibes…

I do not think this ordeal has lessened her hate for the bathroom.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Poor Louise. Yes, toilet lids down, fish tanks covered

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@Sweet Louise

It’s terribly not funny, but I’m picturing Louise looking rather concerned, standing in two inches of toilet water, and sending out “Hurry Up! Come get me! I didn’t plan for this!!” vibes…

I do not think this ordeal has lessened her hate for the bathroom.
Exactly!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you can make a sign to hang over the toilet to Leave Lid Down or Close Lid. I may help those who forget. Glad she is OK.