• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Older dog going deaf

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Hi!
My sweetest pup Sophie, is going on 16 years. She has been loosing her hearing for awhile now. ...but recently has become nearly full on deaf .

The problem is , she is very very sensitive girl. So touching her to get her attention freaking her out! Poor sweetheart!

How do I get her attention? Like if I need to take her outside, get her out from under my recliner so I can get out without crushing her.

How do I wake her from old lady naps , so I can take her fur walks or run to hrm outside before leaving.

Need tips

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sounds very much like my old Sammy girl who was deaf and mostly blind too.

I used to stomp my feet or clap for her to get her attention and then she was good with hand signals, if she was asleep I would use food smells close to her face to gently wake her (cat biscuits or dried liver treats) if she needed to be woken up. Try clapping or stomping to get her attention and see if she can feel the vibrations and is ok with that form of being alerted to you- if she is not freaked out by it then you can work on when she is awake to ingrain the thought of looking at you when she feels the vibrations.

Another thing that can be used is bright flashing light but that would be hard to install in every area of your house and also it would be disturbing to the birds.

I also believe there are vibrating collars available to alert the dog that it is wanted- obviously you would need to implement training to teach the dog it is expected to come to you when it feels the collar go off.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I saw a video of a guy who had a very old, very deaf dog, and he would really gently blow on her to get her attention

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
These are good suggestions,! Thanks team!!

Because right now she thinks I've turned into the boogman stalking her and sneak attacks! Some kind of ninja !

She is so sweet so sensitive, was a dream to to train as a pup. The kind of dog you can never raise an eyebrow at let alone your voice !

If she sees me wave her over , she comes quick . But if I can't get her to look at me , and have to walk over , she's like oh my gosh what have I done wrong ?!?!?

I will try all these things. I want my sweet girl to have calm happiness in her twilight

Yes her vision is going a little too ..my heart....
But she is happy and healthy, minimal arthritis, still loves her walks

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
My sweet Sophie is a 16-1/2 yr old long haired chihuahua. During the day (I'm retired) if I see her standing and looking for me, I purposely walk in front of her. At night she does want to be in the room I'm in. When I turn off the TV and light, if she doesn't wake, I do touch her briefly on the side of her face and then just walk off. She always follows. I must admit that I don't remember her reaction when I first started it. I think that what ever you decide as her "signal" just always do the same, she will get used to it.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Just a thought. Would a whistle work? Due to the high pitch, she may hear it...

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
When max was old and going deaf I use to slowly put my hand by his nose so he could smell me that normally woke him up then he would just follow me or know to move from under sofa so I could get up

I know you find something to help glad she still enjoys walks max did right upto day we had so say goodbye
He had kfc chicken a swim in lake walk then to vets

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
You are gorgeous
She is so beautiful,with a beautiful sweet soul as well!

I wrote an adaption essay to get her and drove 7 hours each way to get her from pound foster mom! I was told if I wasn't there by 9 am she went to next adoption, and my adoption wasn't guaranteed, it depending on the pup liking me and in person interview with foster mom! Her mom had come to pound pregnant. And even as a wee one Sophia was so sensitive!! I'm so grateful she took to me ,and has shared her life with me .

Her only issue was terrible separation anxiety, leading her to pull out most of her hair from waist down soon after coming home. Leading to a long search to find her a friend a buddy. She was very picky and sensitive about who would be her buddy too. We met many many dogs and pups that were rejected by her! But I started to see she had a preference for boys who were light colored. I found one she loved. A very tiny Pomeranian mix boy. But in 3 days half my coworkers were laid off , and my future wasn't secure. So I rehomed the little boy. He was 100% meant to be with the older couple I found for him! I got to follow most of his life . I was assured my job was secure. And I found a behavioral challenge pup that needed a home that she choose and was ecstatic over! My awesome Alfie pekingese .also now 15 :(

Having her dog friend, all separation anxiety disappeared! She let her hair grow back , never an issue again. She isn't a nervous or fearful dog. She is just so gentle and sweet, and tender about her feelings being hurt .

She has gone kayaking and camping with me , traveled to See friends and family. She is so wonderful and easy going

I think being pulled from her mom ( because of mom health issues) and hand raised and weaned at five weeks and adopted by me st tender 6 weeks of age played a roll in her being so sensitive. Her foster mom was very business like , and the pups had not been exposed to much or ever been outside. It was very much get them raised and get them homes as there lots more needing foster , this was a busy pound around Atlanta Georgia.

Thanks for letting me share. With all my recent loss, it's hard to think about how little time I have left with senior pups ..I wish figs lived so much longer .

All my love to those of you with your older friends.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
My sweet Sophie is a 16-1/2 yr old long haired chihuahua. During the day (I'm retired) if I see her standing and looking for me, I purposely walk in front of her. At night she does want to be in the room I'm in. When I turn off the TV and light, if she doesn't wake, I do touch her briefly on the side of her face and then just walk off. She always follows. I must admit that I don't remember her reaction when I first started it. I think that what ever you decide as her "signal" just always do the same, she will get used to it.
Big love to little Sophie! Love to see a picture!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Aww that’s such a lovely story I sm
She is so beautiful,with a beautiful sweet soul as well!

I wrote an adaption essay to get her and drove 7 hours each way to get her from pound foster mom! I was told if I wasn't there by 9 am she went to next adoption, and my adoption wasn't guaranteed, it depending on the pup liking me and in person interview with foster mom! Her mom had come to pound pregnant. And even as a wee one Sophia was so sensitive!! I'm so grateful she took to me ,and has shared her life with me .

Her only issue was terrible separation anxiety, leading her to pull out most of her hair from waist down soon after coming home. Leading to a long search to find her a friend a buddy. She was very picky and sensitive about who would be her buddy too. We met many many dogs and pups that were rejected by her! But I started to see she had a preference for boys who were light colored. I found one she loved. A very tiny Pomeranian mix boy. But in 3 days half my coworkers were laid off , and my future wasn't secure. So I rehomed the little boy. He was 100% meant to be with the older couple I found for him! I got to follow most of his life . I was assured my job was secure. And I found a behavioral challenge pup that needed a home that she choose and was ecstatic over! My awesome Alfie pekingese .also now 15 :(

Having her dog friend, all separation anxiety disappeared! She let her hair grow back , never an issue again. She isn't a nervous or fearful dog. She is just so gentle and sweet, and tender about her feelings being hurt .

She has gone kayaking and camping with me , traveled to See friends and family. She is so wonderful and easy going

I think being pulled from her mom ( because of mom health issues) and hand raised and weaned at five weeks and adopted by me st tender 6 weeks of age played a roll in her being so sensitive. Her foster mom was very business like , and the pups had not been exposed to much or ever been outside. It was very much get them raised and get them homes as there lots more needing foster , this was a busy pound around Atlanta Georgia.

Thanks for letting me share. With all my recent loss, it's hard to think about how little time I have left with senior pups ..I wish figs lived so much longer .

All my love to those of you with your older friends.
so glad she found you and you her is hardest thing that they don’t live as long as us

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Another thing that can be used is bright flashing light but that would be hard to install in every area of your house and also it would be disturbing to the birds.
You could use a handheld torch to do it. Or a little LED lamp, just flick it on then off, see if it works.
I personally think the vibrations are a better option. Maybe tapping on the floor nearby.

Not easy looking after a deaf dog, hope you find something that works for you both and doesn't frighten her. I remember when I was a teen, my mums lab was deaf and I took him out one day, he loved fetching sticks from the river, but he went and lost sight of the stick and I was calling him to come back but he swam further up the river away from me looking for it and I had to jump in and retreive him :(

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
You could use a handheld torch to do it. Or a little LED lamp, just flick it on then off, see if it works.
I personally think the vibrations are a better option. Maybe tapping on the floor nearby.

Not easy looking after a deaf dog, hope you find something that works for you both and doesn't frighten her. I remember when I was a teen, my mums lab was deaf and I took him out one day, he loved fetching sticks from the river, but he went and lost sight of the stick and I was calling him to come back but he swam further up the river away from me looking for it and I had to jump in and retreive him :(
Awwww
The sweet old boy. Glad you both safe.

I will try vibration, and light to wake her.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

I found the stomping worked best for my poor old girl when she got bad, she also started to only fall asleep when we were hanging out together with her head or paw on my foot so I could not move away without her knowing- many dogs do this with their owners but she did not need to until she went deaf.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My one poodle went deaf around age 16. I just stomped to let him know it was time to go potty or eat. Other times if he was looking at me I used hand signals.