• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Old Yellow Napped Amazon

onyxknight

Checking out the neighborhood
So i have an old yellow napped amazon he is 37 years old and the family he came from over the last few years gave him less and less attention until now he is a very violent angry bird, we acquired him about 4 months ago and have not been able to do much but avoid him. I would like to train him to like people again and to not scream early in the morning so i can sleep, my husband however refuses to even let me attempt to train this bird as he thinks that it is to old to learn tricks or change his attitude. I need some advise on what i can do is this old bird trainable or do i just let him live out the rest of his days without any contact. I talk sweet to him and sometimes he will let me come close and talk to him but if i touch his cage at all he tries to attack me, i cant change his food or water while he is outside the cage for the same reason and when my Macaw (who is a lovey little sweetie to humans but hates other birds) tries to come to me or love on me Norman (the old amazon) tries to attack me so i feel like its breaking my bond with pixle (my macaw) even he has started being slightly more aggressive toward me i think largely in part because of Normans actions.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Bump

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No bird is ever too old. There was a 40 yo macaw at the rescue I use for adoptions, and he has improved leaps and bounds through training. Permission based, positive reinforcement, and allowing the bird the choice. All work wonders!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Go slow but with kindness & time birds taken out of poor conditions do seem to be able to get over it & can fall back on better times or learn that not every human contact is to be feared. A bird that has gone wild from no attention is better than one that has been actually abused.
Amazons can be hard to handle so you might never be able to have a really hands on close bond you can come to an understanding
so that both of you can have some enjoyment from each other.

If your macaw is being affected can you keep them in separate rooms?4
They can watch & I really think learn behavior from each other good & bad.
Right now I would not want your loving relationship with your MAcaw to be jeopardized.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret is in her 40's (at least). The bird was isolated when we rescued her but did have another bird close by.

Secret has learned tricks here and can turn on command and wave. Frankly, the bird could probably learn more.

First you need to go extremely slow. Screaming in the morning? Birds are vocal.

With Secret we leave the room when the noise starts. When the noise changes to something we like, we return and compliment her.

You have to learn the right kind of training. Praise for the good stuff. Negative stuff takes away from your bond. It's hard to gain a parrots trust and very very easy to lose it.