• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Old World New World

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Thank you for sharing the article! It was a really good read, and I had no idea how differently those diseases effected the old world as opposed to the new world parrots.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I did not either. Wonder why its like that.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so glad you posted that article, @Lady Jane. I just wish that everyone would read it and PAY ATTENTION. I get tired of pounding the drum.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Hankmacaw What happens to birds like finches who are not parrots when mixed with old world birds?Do they also suffer pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I know absolutely nothing, nada about finches. I'm afraid of the little birds. I would imagine that seeing how small their lungs are that powder down would bother them even more quickly and severely. I don't know whether they contract Beak and Feather or PDD. I would imagine that there is even less research done on Finches than on the larger parrots.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird had HORRIBLE feather coloring and a few deformed flights that never would grow in right. He had white and yellow feathers in places when I first got him with his brother Ferd in 78. Ferd was always fat and healthy and Nerd was always skinny and sickly looking. I found some feather health vitamins and started giving it to him and he slowly molted out all the bad feathers and they never came back. His brother never had any bad feathers and always seemed quite healthy till he suddenly got very sick and died by the end of the day:( Nerd and I mourned and bonded with each other and he was my best friends for 31 skinny years.
Once I found out about PBFD I always wondered if he may have had it but once we finally took him to the vet many years later for another issue they never said anything about it and all his tests almost always came back fine. My Other Maxi pionus since have never shown signs of it so maybe if he did have it he overcame it himself and went on to have a happy, though skinny, life with a few deformed and missing flights on his left wing:chin: