• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Old World and New World Parrots together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've come across this issue several times, and I'm still a little confused about it. I understand that powder down is dangerous for New World parrots, but why? And can Old World parrots be effected by the powder they produce?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The dust from Old world parrots is very fine, much much finer than the dust from New World Parrots. It's called powder down, unlike New world parrots whose dander is just stuff from preening keratin from feathers. The dust is so fine from Cockatoos, etc. that it works it's way deep into the birds' respiratory system and causes a coating that just grows. As the coating grows the birds' breathing is more and more compromised which finally effects their heart and encourages atherosclerosis and eventually death.

Just don't ever be tempted. The disease shows no symptoms other than shortness of breath and that isn't until the bird is well into the disease. Java may be susceptible because he comes from an island where there are no other parrots and he has no filtering feathers around his nares.

A number of birds belonging to members of this forum have been lost to PHD.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/index...ers-needed-for-zoe.145993/page-8#post-2079810

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Java may be susceptible because he comes from an island where there are no other parrots and he has no filtering feathers around his nares.
Even though he's considered an Old World parrot? He has zero Powder Down but he does have dander like a New World, but he isn't classified as such. Confusing.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I ever wanted to bring in a second bird, how would I know which he would be compatible with? He's an Old World parrot but has zero powder down, so would he be susceptible to the powder down of another species?

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Cockatoos, Cockateils and African Greys are all powder down birds. I'd steer clear of them with Java. Have a look at Eclectus which are said to produce very little dander. I've heard that Macaws especially Blue & Gold have sensitive respiratory systems.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Like I said in my previous post - he very well could be, because of the things I mentioned that are unique to Java although he is an old world bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I have wondered about grays and 'toos being compatible housemates. They are known to both be dusty, but does their dust bother the other? Grey's don't have covered nares, so would that make them vulnerable to cockatoo dust?

I'm asking because someone I knew was trying to give away a neglected grey that someone dumped and I didn't know if he would be a good fit with out dusty house. He found a good landing place quickly so it was a non-issue for us. But I'm curious for the future.

Parrotl3t

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
Reading this makes me question the bird room I am in the process of doing today.

I have a baby Quaker, baby lovebird, & a cockatiel. Should I not put the cockatiel in the same room with the lovebird & Quaker?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Reading this makes me question the bird room I am in the process of doing today.

I have a baby Quaker, baby lovebird, & a cockatiel. Should I not put the cockatiel in the same room with the lovebird & Quaker?
I think I would let them all be in the same room but I would have a good air filter. I believe lovies are old world. So there shouldn't be an issue with the tiel. I think a quaker is new world. With just one tiel, I think I would feel okay housing them together with the filter. Frequent baths helps keep a tiel's dander down too. @Mizzely ?

I guess I should say technically they should be kept apart. However, most of the problems seem to occur with macaws...

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Quakers are new world, however they do have the feathers covering their nares which helps filter particles. So they may be an exception to the rule.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you provide proper air ventilation and filtration I don't see a problem with housing any birds in a bird room. It's all about the environment. Always is.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
It is not neatly broken down into new world parrots and old world parrots, because not all old world parrots are closely related and not all produce powder down. Vasas lack powder down and should be managed like New World parrots. Amazons are South American but they produce their own sort of powder dander which may be harmful just the same in close confines without good ventilation.

With sufficient ventilation, you are unlikely to have issues, especially with smaller species like cockatiels, kept in the same space as non-dusty parrot species.

Mantis64

Hi I currently own an Indian ringneck and was wondering if he would be compatible to keep with a blue fronted amazon parrot. I wouldn't say my Indian ringneck is dusty but haven't owned a dusty bird so I wouldn't now if the dust/dander produced by my ringneck would affect an amazon parrot.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'd like to know what ventilation system or air filtration system removes 100% of the powder How much powder does it take to affect a susceptible macaw? How much time before the damage is irreversible? We just don't know IMO, mixing Old & New World birds is a gamble, regardless of your air filtration

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd like to know what ventilation system or air filtration system removes 100% of the powder How much powder does it take to affect a susceptible macaw? How much time before the damage is irreversible? We just don't know IMO, mixing Old & New World birds is a gamble, regardless of your air filtration
I couldn't agree more!

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Bump, also want to watch this thread because it looks interesting. :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Brittany0208 I'd consider checking w/ your vet too on this because of Java not flying. Even tho his diet is good, if any down comes from another he may not have the ability to fight off the atherosclerosis w/ flight like Mary & I are doing w/ our floof's.

Sorry just a random thought I know if your considering it (in the least) it would be for Java to be more active & have a companion, I'd have the vet go through all the pro's & con's.

Status
Not open for further replies.