• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Old lovebird can't sleep on perch.

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
Hello. My almost 19 year old female peach-faced lovebird is having problems sleeping on her perch. When she turns her head around to put it in her shoulder (you know, the way birds sleep), her head slides off and eventually she is completely leaning forward. Her head is hanging below the perch! She starts to fall off the perch eventually but catches herself. The poor thing can't sleep. I just bought a bird hut and put it in there. I'm also trying to find a perch with a better grip to it. Any good websites for perches? Not finding suitable one in stores. Also thought I'd try a platform perch. Anyone else dealt with this before? And what did you try and what helped? Thank you. You all have been so helpful before.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My Safe Bird Store has a number of different kinds of perches. (mysafebirdstore.com). Has she been to a vet?

@Zara ?

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for the perch website. She was just at the vet in September. I was wondering, too, if there was some other reason she couldn't perch and sleep. She sits ok on perches otherwise. She did injure (as in bruise--according to vet) her right leg last summer but she seems ok now. Wonder if it is not 100 percent. Plus it seems like she slips on the perch more often. I saw other people on here say their old bird had trouble with balance and perching. Her eyesight is not great. She has cataracts. Otherwise she is her usual self.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm wondering if she has some arthritis in her feet. It's fairly common with older birds. Do you use any rope perches with her? I give my senior tiels senior nutriberries- they contain glucosomine and other supplements to help older birds. I also give my oldest tiel something called "healthy bird" which has turmeric, etc. in it.

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
I'm wondering if she has some arthritis in her feet. It's fairly common with older birds. Do you use any rope perches with her? I give my senior tiels senior nutriberries- they contain glucosomine and other supplements to help older birds. I also give my oldest tiel something called "healthy bird" which has turmeric, etc. in it.
I've always wondered about those rope perches I've seen. Like "comfy perches". So those are ok? It's so different from what she knows. I wonder if she would like it. If they're ok, I'm willing to try it. My other issue is finding the 18" perch like her main perch. The diameters are so wide. I was just looking at perches by the vendors here. Didn't know about arthritis. Lol. Poor thing. I've got arthritis in one toe, maybe she does too. Ha.

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
You might try a platform perch for her. These come in a 1" thickness which would be fine for a lovebird. Some padding on top would help her as well.
View attachment 373826
I was looking at platform perches. I think she would like the bird hut which is a platform. She's used one before, briefly. She didn't need it back then, she could perch just fine. Now, she has to be curious about the hut and try it. Lol. She can't see as well, but I know she saw it. I was looking at your vendor site for perches. 18" straight. 3/4 to 1 inch diameter. Was that you? (Kazoo).

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
I was looking at platform perches. I think she would like the bird hut which is a platform. She's used one before, briefly. She didn't need it back then, she could perch just fine. Now, she has to be curious about the hut and try it. Lol. She can't see as well, but I know she saw it. I was looking at your vendor site for perches. 18" straight. 3/4 to 1 inch diameter. Was that you? (Kazoo).
Oops. I meant Seriouly Nutz. Not Kazoo.

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
I've always wondered about those rope perches I've seen. Like "comfy perches". So those are ok? It's so different from what she knows. I wonder if she would like it. If they're ok, I'm willing to try it. My other issue is finding the 18" perch like her main perch. The diameters are so wide. I was just looking at perches by the vendors here. Didn't know about arthritis. Lol. Poor thing. I've got arthritis in one toe, maybe she does too. Ha.
Also, I did notice her front long toe doesn't wrap the perch like the other toes. It sticks out a little. I'm thinking now maybe it's because of arthritis.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree - get her a nice large platform perch. I have one for my little old guy (14 year old lovie) who has arthritis and a bad toe. He loves it and sleeps on it with no issues.

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
I agree - get her a nice large platform perch. I have one for my little old guy (14 year old lovie) who has arthritis and a bad toe. He loves it and sleeps on it with no issues.
Do you remember where you got that platform perch? What is it made out of? And what are the dimensions? I'm thinking it has to be big enough so she won't fall off when asleep.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I use the comfy perches for my older tiels. You just have to watch to make sure that the bird doesn't chew the threads. Two of my tiels never chewed on them at all. My one now is a chewer so I'm constantly trimming them. He doesn't ingest the threads. But you have to watch to make sure. But they are supposed to be good for a bird's feet. Although a platform perch would work too.

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
I just ordered my bird, Emerald, two platform perches to see what she prefers. A corner one and a square one. Off Amazon. Hope she takes to them. Now I'm looking for natural wood perches with more grip. But 18" inches long and smaller diameter. Or I'll try the rope perches. May be easier to find those. Any input on that? Thank you everyone. So nice we all help each other with these bird issues.

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
I use the comfy perches for my older tiels. You just have to watch to make sure that the bird doesn't chew the threads. Two of my tiels never chewed on them at all. My one now is a chewer so I'm constantly trimming them. He doesn't ingest the threads. But you have to watch to make sure. But they are supposed to be good for a bird's feet. Although a platform perch would work too.
Thank you. Yes, my bird is a chewer. lol. Aren't they all. But she has other things she chews on so I'm going to try those rope perches. Thank you for your input. Appreciate it. I'll look out for that. Just trying to help my little geriatric bird. lol.

Love-birds

Meeting neighbors
I can't use that vet wrap stuff on her perches, can I? Won't she chew it all off? Has anyone ever tried that?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you remember where you got that platform perch? What is it made out of? And what are the dimensions? I'm thinking it has to be big enough so she won't fall off when asleep.
Hmm...I think the place I ordered it from originally has closed, but I know Things for Wings has some:

I think mine is at least 6”x6”, but there are multiple sizes available on the link I shared above.