• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Old cockateil question

Magnetic

Moving in
Real Name
deb
I have a 23 year old cockatiel who for about 6 months now has been exhibiting signs of poop issues. She is too frail and old to go to a vet...would probably die from the stress.... and so wanting to give her the best rest of her life here.

Her poops are getting stuck from time to time and sticking to her bottom. I have been wiping them for her every week or so, but the last time I tried to wipe them off with warm water a few days ago ...she went into melt down and started to breath erraticaly...I almost lost her.

She wont sit in water and preens very little. Fortunately her poops are currently coming out at the moment and she is not straining but her feathers are really stained. Is this a big issue with bacteria or should I just leave her alone and not stress her?

Poops vary from normal green etc, to sometimes a bit blacker. For the first time in her life she is craving sunflower seeds and goes crazy over egg, so obviously trying to get protein.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of giving her a few days of apple cider vinegar again. Really hot here so cautious about putting things in her water that stops her from drinking.

She still loves her nightly cuddles and is eating. I know her batteries are running down though as after she eats sleeps for a few hours.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Could you schedule a video consult with the vet?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Its not normal for poop.to stick so likely bacterial or yeast infection. As we all are we are immune system lowers As we age so easier to get an imbalance.
Id try plain Greek yogurt no artificial sweetners. About half teaspoon a day for five days tgen ev r y other day for five days ...if its going to help thsts what experimentstion has led to help mine. I offer from a finger top. I touch it to their beak and wait. Iften after they taste are ready to lick up
Tho I think a veterinarian exam poop would be ideal. You might be able to just bring in some fresh poop sbd have doc test that?

23 kudos to you thsts a great age!

Otherwise extra warmth never goes wrong. I use sweeter heater as found on Amazon smallest size. My old quaker i have on her non stop now abd im in Florida!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sometimes a vet can do a fecal test without the bird being there. You just collect the droppings and take them in. Perhaps you can find a vet to do that. Some avian probiotics might help too. Is she drinking enough water? I would definitely try to at least consult with a vet. (By the way, I have a 23 and 33 year old tiels.)

Magnetic

Moving in
Real Name
deb
Its not normal for poop.to stick so likely bacterial or yeast infection. As we all are we are immune system lowers As we age so easier to get an imbalance.
Id try plain Greek yogurt no artificial sweetners. About half teaspoon a day for five days tgen ev r y other day for five days ...if its going to help thsts what experimentstion has led to help mine. I offer from a finger top. I touch it to their beak and wait. Iften after they taste are ready to lick up
Tho I think a veterinarian exam poop would be ideal. You might be able to just bring in some fresh poop sbd have doc test that?

23 kudos to you thsts a great age!

Otherwise extra warmth never goes wrong. I use sweeter heater as found on Amazon smallest size. My old quaker i have on her non stop now abd im in Florida!
Thank you so much for spending this time to answer my email. I will make some calls to see if I can get a vet to do that.....we don't have any bird vets close by...i live on an island but there are bird vets in another State that might be able to help. Thanks for that....sometimes you get so caught up in it the logic goes out the door. I haven't given her yoghurt as had read Tiels can't tolerate Lactose....??? Maybe goats yoghurt??? I will get some probiotics as well and try it in her water....she doesn't like anything different in her water and is suspect to anything mixed in her food. The only chance I would have is mix it with some egg as she loves egg. I am sure the yoghurt would be easier but just a little wary of the lactose. I also realised a few months ago, she is blind....or maybe almost blind....as I have to direct her to things now.
Would appreciate your thoughts on the yoghurt. :)

Magnetic

Moving in
Real Name
deb
Regarding the heat....we live in the tropics so plenty warm!!!

Magnetic

Moving in
Real Name
deb
Sometimes a vet can do a fecal test without the bird being there. You just collect the droppings and take them in. Perhaps you can find a vet to do that. Some avian probiotics might help too. Is she drinking enough water? I would definitely try to at least consult with a vet. (By the way, I have a 23 and 33 year old tiels.)
Oh my goodness.....33 year old??? My husband is now concerned she will outlive him :) She has seen off 2 dogs so far :) Thank you so much for the advice and taking time to write to me. I will defineatly investigate a vet willing to do this. I don't know why i hadnt done the probiotics - maybe because she won't drink if stuff is in her water....and is quick to know if i have hidden it in her food. I will get some tomrrow though and see how I can get it into her.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am lactose intolerant but I can eat Greek yogurt in decent amounts with no issues. Greek yogurt in particular has much less lactose than other dairy yogurts due to the way it is made.

I also give Greek yogurt to my birds, no where near as much as @Pixiebeak has suggested you give nor as often, but, my birds are also not sick or having issues I am trying to fix.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Thank you so much for spending this time to answer my email. I will make some calls to see if I can get a vet to do that.....we don't have any bird vets close by...i live on an island but there are bird vets in another State that might be able to help. Thanks for that....sometimes you get so caught up in it the logic goes out the door. I haven't given her yoghurt as had read Tiels can't tolerate Lactose....??? Maybe goats yoghurt??? I will get some probiotics as well and try it in her water....she doesn't like anything different in her water and is suspect to anything mixed in her food. The only chance I would have is mix it with some egg as she loves egg. I am sure the yoghurt would be easier but just a little wary of the lactose. I also realised a few months ago, she is blind....or maybe almost blind....as I have to direct her to things now.
Would appreciate your thoughts on the yoghurt. :)
The active live bacteria strains take care of the lactose . You can find yogurts listed on tons of parrot safe foods lists and chicken lists. I've fed for over 20 years. So I feel very comfortable with the advice. But artificial sweet can be toxic to birds. I prefer FAGE brand. As those strains seem helpful.
I didn't not have the ssme results with bird pro biotic. As they are a powder and not a live active culture. Its been years since I tried burd ones, perhaps they have improved...

On supporting heat. Your burd will enjoy it and has benefits. Burds body temp is 110f ..so unless the ambient temp is 95f radiant heat is supporting them and saves them tons of energy .

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I am lactose intolerant but I can eat Greek yogurt in decent amounts with no issues. Greek yogurt in particular has much less lactose than other dairy yogurts due to the way it is made.

I also give Greek yogurt to my birds, no where near as much as @Pixiebeak has suggested you give nor as often, but, my birds are also not sick or having issues I am trying to fix.
When mine aren't sick or on antibiotics I just give some random when I eat yogurt.
But when mine had 45 days of doxy I tried to give every day. When my Gcc, my quaker, and one budgie broke with diarrhea after azithromycine I did as I suggested to you. The poops usually firmed to normal by day 2 or 3 but saw improves on day 1

Not all yogurt has live cultures. Check or use the brand i suggested.
Or don't if you feel uncomfortable. It's something that helped me so I shared.

Magnetic

Moving in
Real Name
deb

Thank you so much for replying. It is so lovely to have such wonderful support on this site. I might just try a little on my finger and see if she tolerates it.. I will know soon enough as her poops will change straight away.