• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Old Birds Can Learn New Tricks

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My old guys never cease to amaze me. I probably spoil my seniors a bit too much but I figure they deserve it, they're seniors, right? I rarely push them to do things like I would with younger birds. And I'm always so proud of them when they turn a corner. Scooter, my 21 year old tiel (who is actually the baby of my flock, lol) is becoming such a confident bird now. I was told that he hadn't been left out of his cage for 7 years before I adopted him. While he always liked to come out and fly around for a bit, he seemed to get nervous after a fairly short period of time and want to go back in his cage. One of the things my vet always says is you don't want to stress the old guys out, so I would put him back in when I saw he was getting anxious. Well now, Scooter loves to be out. He also wants to put himself back in his cage when it's time to go in and doesn't want me to help him. It took him awhile to figure out how to climb back in, but he does it! It may not sound like a huge accomplishment but I am really proud of him. I know people are sometimes hesitant to take on older birds but they can still bond with you, learn things, etc. They're just like other birds but with more naps. ;)

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
That’s beautiful! Go Scooter for proving that old saying wrong! All you need is some love and magic can happen! :loveshower:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:starshower1:You go scooter, I wonder what you’ll surprise us with next! What a cutie! :heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Fantastic! Way to go Scooter!! :yahoo: :yah:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:starshower1:You go scooter, I wonder what you’ll surprise us with next! What a cutie! :heart:
You'll appreciate this I think. I used to take Scooter upstairs in his sleep cage. Now he likes to go upstairs riding on top of his sleep cage. It makes me smile because it's reminiscent of the days I used to have to carry Sunny around on his pillow. :) His sudden turn around is also reminding me of Sunny. Sunny was this timid bird and then one day he became a bold explorer. I'm seeing a similar transition with Scooter. Now, Rosie just has to join in.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aww, that’s just so precious!:swoon: Your birds always know how to work you for sure. Being treated like royalty is a given in your house!:yes3:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Old birds can definitely learn.

MC and Secret both learned how to turn around years ago. Of course, each individual turned a different direction!

Secret even lifts a foot to "wave".

If I worked with that bird more, who knows what she could do.