• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Old and New World in the same house?

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
It's hard to know. The example I gave above was 3 years. The grey was re-homed after the death of her Red Fronted, and then 5 years later the blue and gold also died of the same cause :(
I'm emailing my vet about it as we speak. Stress... they are such sensitive creatures, it's ridiculous how much stuff I find out about even though I'm already doing so much to accommodate for her. o_O

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's hard to know. The example I gave above was 3 years. The grey was re-homed after the death of her Red Fronted, and then 5 years later the blue and gold also died of the same cause :(
I didn't know she lost Elvis also. Beyond sad and devastating.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I understand not housing them near one another (or heaven forbid together), but we have the 'too girls a couple of rooms away from Buzzard and an air filter by each cage. Even the article @Hankmacaw posted said Separate Rooms with a HEPA filter.

........................................... 1606171338704.png

But I agree it is important to be aware, otherwise we'd probably have them all in one big birdroom.

Last edited:

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
How about Amazons next to a M2 maybe 5/6m away with no wall and another CAG 9/10m away with a shelf in between ? No air filter whatsoever but it is sort of well ventilated.
The 3 macaws right next to the M2 is definitely in risk and another macaw quite close to the CAG is in risk as well but I want to know if Puff would be concerned as well.
He has been there (I don’t own him for people who don’t know) for a year and before that he was housed with a CAG then a LSC which was right next to him as well.
I’m scared.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How about Amazons next to a M2 maybe 5/6m away with no wall and another CAG 9/10m away with a shelf in between ? No air filter whatsoever but it is sort of well ventilated.
The 3 macaws right next to the M2 is definitely in risk and another macaw quite close to the CAG is in risk as well but I want to know if Puff would be concerned as well.
He has been there (I don’t own him for people who don’t know) for a year and before that he was housed with a CAG then a LSC which was right next to him as well.
I’m scared.
The truth is we don't know exactly the safe distances or precautions. We also don't know the extent to which other species beyond Macaws and Conures are suspectable. We do know that Amazons can develop Chronic pulmonary interstitial fibrosis, which the causes can vary, meaning powder down could be a factor.

Even people can develop breathing issues from powder down..Bird fancier's lung is a type of hypersensitivity pneumonitis. If people can develop issues, then why is it so hard to believe that parrots, with more sensitive respiratory systems, could be at risk?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
It doesn't have anything to do with Old World birds versus New World birds, it has to do with dust producing birds. Cockatoos, greys, and Cockatiels and not all New World species seem to have a problem. The B&Gs and the hybrid Macaws seem to be the most susceptible to it but all Macaws are more at risk. Conures can be at risk too as they are very closely related to Macaws. I nearly killed a Patagonian Conure I had with two CAGs and a D2. I had to rehome her once we realized what the problem was but she did live for several more years with a different family. Her lungs were never the same again though.

I have several Amazons and have had them for 10 years now with many greys and several Cockatoos and do not have a problem at all. They do not seem to have the same sensitivities that the Macs and the Conures do to the dust that the dust producing birds create. I can tell you one thing for sure from my experience with this...I will never own a Conure or a Macaw, not ever. I have too many dust producing birds in my house.

Last edited:

Peepers

Strolling the yard
This is so interesting. I never knew about this (I only have one small bird right now). There are people on YouTube who have a mix of these birds, so now I'm concerned about them!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
RESPIRATORY DISEASE IN SOUTH AMERICAN SPECIES

ESPECIALLY MACAWS AND CONURES

Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome

Although good ventilation is necessary for any type of bird, it is especially critical
for South American species. Blue and Gold Macaws, as well as Sun Conures
seem especially sensitive to airborne irritants. They may develop a progressive
respiratory disease known as "pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome” if housed in
a poorly ventilated room, especially if kept with birds that produce a great deal of
powder: Cockatoos, Cockatiels, Lovebirds or African Grey Parrots.

This powder is produced by specialized "powder down feathers" and is a white
waxy substance composed of keratin. Powder down forms a water proof barrier
for contour feathers. It is spread through the feathers when the bird grooms. The
down is composed of very fine particulate matter which becomes airborne easily
and spreads via air currents and air ducts throughout the environment.

The powder down can also cause irritation to people with respiratory problems and
allergies. People with allergies may be able to tolerate these birds, but they should
be aware of this before acquiring one of these dusty species.

In the early stages of pulmonary hypersensitivity syndrome, the bird may appear
normal, but wheeze when excited. As the condition progresses, dyspnea (difficulty
in breathing), a cough, and a bluish tinge to the facial skin (cyanosis) develops.
Hypoxia or under oxygenation of tissues often leads to an increase in the number of
circulating red blood cells (RBC) termed Polycythemia. This increases the viscosity
of the blood so that it does not flow normally. Subsequent immuno- suppression
may lead to Aspergillosis, a deadly respiratory fungal disease.

Clinical symptoms, blood work, and high resolution digital radiographs may
support the diagnosis, but a lung biopsy is necessary for confirmation.

In order to prevent this, South American Species should be housed in well
ventilated rooms without Cockatoos, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, or African Grey Parrots.

In addition, an air cleaner with a HEPA filter is highly recommended.

Unfortunately, this pulmonary disease is often advanced when the owner first notice
the problem get it diagnosed by a trained avian veterinarian familiar with this
syndrome. Certain drugs may provide temporary relief, but there is no cure for this
syndrome.
Love Birds are not dust producing birds. Cockatoos, Cockatiels, and African greys are the only dust producing birds.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I normally don't join in these conversations, but does it affect all new world parrots?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I normally don't join in these conversations, but does it affect all new world parrots?
It isn't a New World Vs Old World bird issue. All birds are going to have problems with the dust, including the dusty birds themselves, over time if you don't offer a clean environment. There seem to be some birds who are much more susceptible to it than others for whatever reason and from everything I've seen over the years, the Macaws and Conures are very high on that list.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Learning about this is so important for new parronts, I was glad that I learned it when I did. I had been in love for cockatiels for years, I still am to some degree, but I had a macaw pick me. And I would never have a dusty bird for his sake - hence why I got my conure. I regret none of it as a love my conure, I found him because I couldn't get a cockatiel and the aratinga conure fits my lifestyle better. Mixing dusty and new worlds has caused so much heartache here that it feels imperative that new parronts know about this.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I spent the last three months exhaustively screening potential homes for my cockatiels, receiving some downright nasty letters along the way. I have loved Skyline for over nine years, and he was my best friend through many of them. He was my first true rescue, and our history together is written on my heart. I am absolutely shattered to let him and Chipper go, but am incredibly relieved that I finally found someone who ticked all my boxes and who I like as a person.

The boys are going to their new home soon, probably by Friday. I just hope this isn't too little, too late, like it was in the case of Elvis.

Last edited:

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
I have no idea I was so clueless about different species living together. Luckily, I only have one Quaker. I’m not sure where a Quaker fits in? Was New World South America? I was aware of Bird Fancier Lung Disease. For that reason I have a hepa air purifier. Quakers do tend to be rather dusty at times, but not like a cockatiel.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Once again, it has nothing to do with Old World vs New World! It is dust producing birds (Cockatoos and Cockatiels and African greys), with Macaws and Conures.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Is this really true??? I often watch my neighbor's budgie when they go on vacation and I set her cage near my GCC's cage so that they can hang out together. Could that make either bird sick? I had no idea!!

Birds are complicated animals.

Pistachio

Meeting neighbors
Is this really true??? I often watch my neighbor's budgie when they go on vacation and I set her cage near my GCC's cage so that they can hang out together. Could that make either bird sick? I had no idea!!
I don’t know about the powder problem, but this shouldn’t happen in the first place as sicknesses can be spread between the two birds.

Aves

Birds are complicated animals.
Your GCC won't get sick. Budgies aren't dusty birds.
Dusty birds( cockatoos, cockatiels, cags, tags...)+ Non dusty birds( macaws, conures.....)= An incurable disease.