• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Old aloe detox?

Boy-Ses

Moving in
Real Name
Daniela
Hi all, i would need some feedback on this.
I got lily of the deserts aloe vera detoxifying formula (the gel) in my fridge, i Think i opened the bottle in may last year. (and the top of the bottle when i open it doesnt look "fresh") I understand its old now, but i have an emergency trying to save my budgies Life. She has lost a lot of weight, dont know if its her kidney problems or something else now. I can see on her she´s not well.
Would like to give the Aloe Vera detoxifying formula to her drinking water BUT since its old, could it do more harm then good? What do you tthink? And do you think its still good stuff to give? Ive ordered today a new bottle of this formula but it takes 2 weeks to get it från US to Sweden. http://www.vitacost.com/lily-of-the-desert-aloe-vera-80-detoxifying-formula-32-fl-oz a link to the product
Thanks.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Gosh, I'm not sure how to advise you on this. I had a bottle that was 9 months old before I discarded it because I didn't like the way it looked. I just didn't feel comfortable with it but don't know if it actually was bad. Hopefully someone with more experience with it will be able to help. Did you ask your AV about it?

Boy-Ses

Moving in
Real Name
Daniela
thanks for you replies. Since my budgie Malish lost Another gram im trying Everything i can. I poured it into a glas to see if there were any mold, but it looked fine to me so i put it in the drinking water and actually started forcefeeding her adding it there too.
Lily of the desert has a FB page, i asked a day ago, still no answer.

Boy-Ses

Moving in
Real Name
Daniela
I recieved now a negative reply från Lily of the desert. They write that more then likely it has started grow some Micro there now.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Is she eating? Many have had success with jarred baby food like sweet potato and other veggies. Also regular Pedialyte to keep the electrolytes up if she's not drinking.

Boy-Ses

Moving in
Real Name
Daniela
Today she´s barely been eating, i really started panicking today and fed her from a 1 ml syringe with harrissons pelets, the high potency sort. Thats how ive been Heard to do here in Sweden, it has saved Life of one of my other budgies previously. Never Heard of giving baby food, i Think... is it safe? I´ll look up pedialyte but here in sweden we need to go to the vet to get any meds prescribed. :( And my avian vet here in Stockholm, someone set their clinic on fire so I cant go to see the vet. Will talk over the phone tomorrow, but that wont help us much.

Boy-Ses

Moving in
Real Name
Daniela
The second time i fed her she felt stronger, and even bit me. :heart: i dont know if it was the forcefeeding or the old aloe detox formula that has given her a bit of strenth.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Baby food is safe. Get the one for infants, not the chunky kind. It's made for babies just beginning to eat so should have no additives.

Boy-Ses

Moving in
Real Name
Daniela
I took Malish to the vet last friday, she stayed that 24 hours for care. Poop sample showed nothing, they didnt take a blood sample, an x-ray was normal except for a lot of fluid in the colon, they didnt know what that was, what it means. She barealy eats on her own, cant really put on weight, anyone who can help their knowledge what it can be? Do birds starv themselfes when they feel nausea perhaps?
Yesterday i was feeling hope but now im more concerned. :(