• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Okay two questions, Tiel who bites when I try to get her off my shoulder, and GCC who bites really hard out of curiosity

Eqiine

Meeting neighbors
Question 1) Hey, I have a 6-month cockatiel who I've had for three months and most of the time if I try to get her off my shoulder, or sometimes if I just try to get her to step up she'll bite my finger and scream (not that hard, just quick nips) I'll leave my finger there until she stopped biting for a moment then I'll take it away. Is there a way I could try to train her to stop, or if I need to change the way I approach her or something.

Question 2) My friend got a new GCC and she is really sweet and already will let anyone come up to her and play with her or feed her, she is really friendly and handleable. She does have one issue though, she bites, and kind of hard too. It's not out of defence or aggression, she's just young and curious and likes to chew and nibble, but she doesn't understand her own strength. How could we teach her that her bites hurt without accidentally teaching her the opposite?

Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Try training her to step up on a Tstick/perch instead of a finger for now and no shoulder sitting until you have the biting under control.
Maybe you will find this helpful:

Question 2) My friend got a new GCC
Advise your friend to create an account and tell us more about their situation. There may be details you don´t know about that are contributing to the biting.

1/2MoonMom

Meeting neighbors
I absolutely believe in avoiding the bite. If my Conure is looking excited, I let her get the energy out with her foraging tray or a chew toy or place her back in her habitat. We worked on target training with her too and I can’t reiterate how helpful that is. If I approach her and I know she’s aggressive, I approach with the stick, click and reward for gentle interaction. This redirects her mood and she will usually be fine after a few repetitions. If it’s the shoulder problem, I also resort to targeting her to my hand or to her play area. It only took a week of daily 5 minute target sessions to see change. Sometimes if it’s a weird situation and she lunges but I have to move her immediately there will be a bite, but target training not only made a habit for her out of good interaction, but it provides an automatic redirection if she’s in a mood.