• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Okay to give? Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrashSmAshley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
My birds need more protein in their diet. We have these pouches at work (Wellness Healthy Indulgence) and they're all natural; there's no meat by-products, corn, wheat, soy, artificial preservatives or artificial colors. They are for cats but nothing in it seems like it would be bad for the birds either. The pouches are 3oz; I got the tuna recipe. Here are the details.

Guaranteed Analysis:
crude protein min. 9.0%, crude fat min. 2.5%, crude fiber max 1.0%, moisture max 82.0%, ash max 2.5%, magnesium max .025%, and taurine min .10%.

Ingredients:
turkey broth, tuna, turkey, turkey liver, egg whites, potato starch, carrots, pea fiber, sweet potatoes, squash, zucchini, natural flavor, calcium carbonate, guar gum, sodium phosphate, cranberries, blueberries, flaxseed, potassium chloride, sodium carbonate, taurine, iron proteinate, beta-carotene, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, cobalt proteinate, thiamine mononitrate, copper proteinate, folic acid, manganese proteinate, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide, biotin.

Think it's okay to give some to the birds? I would probably split the pouch in half and give each half to each bird...or how much do you think? Also, about how often should I give it if it's okay to give?

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
Ooo. I'm just not sure about this. I'd have to send the list to my vet and ask.

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
I know I carry:
Beak Appetit Organic Treat 8oz
and
Beak Appetit For the Love of Ginger 8oz

And both have crude protein of 12.5% which is better for sure. They are also made for birds which makes me feel better saying that this is ok to give to them. My warehouse still has these in stock. :)

Of course, these would be in addition to the protein they would already be getting in whatever pellets you are using. :) I like these because they can be an additional part of their diet to help with that extra protein they need.

Last edited:

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
I also don't like that there is tuna in that cat supplement. Tuna has been known to have heavy metals in them and I just wouldn't risk adding that possible toxicity to your bird's diets or bodies for that matter.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
What about some cooked egg or beans? I'd be hesitant about feeding cat treats. The added vitamins/minerals wouldn't be suitable levels for birds, I would think. Plus I'm not really big on feeding my fids meat.

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
I'd be hesitant about feeding cat treats. The added vitamins/minerals wouldn't be suitable levels for birds, I would think. Plus I'm not really big on feeding my fids meat.
Agreed!

fid fanatic

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cheri
How about some eggs and/or chicken? I personally wouldn't feed cat treats because there are so many added vitamins and minerals/supplements that wouldn't be good for them. If it were a treat with nothing but whole foods in it, I think that would be fine, but in this case, I'd say no. Plus what Tamara said about the tuna...possible mercury...

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I would say no to that.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What about some cooked egg or beans? I'd be hesitant about feeding cat treats. The added vitamins/minerals wouldn't be suitable levels for birds, I would think. Plus I'm not really big on feeding my fids meat.
Also agreed. It's not bird food. Cooked beans, brown rice, grains, wheat pasta, corn, nuts and legumes are good alternatives to feed protein.

If you are a vegetarian. Then you know that cooked beans, legumes, and brown rice are an almost perfect combination of proteins for humans and it is true for our birds as well. If they will eat this combo, animal protein is not needed.

We feed the occasional chicken bone once or twice a month and it is savored for the marrow.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
Also agreed. It's not bird food. Cooked beans, brown rice, grains, wheat pasta, corn, nuts and legumes are good alternatives to feed protein.

If you are a vegetarian. Then you know that cooked beans, legumes, and brown rice are an almost perfect combination of proteins for humans and it is true for our birds as well. If they will eat this combo, animal protein is not needed.

We feed the occasional chicken bone once or twice a month and it is savored for the marrow.
I agree that food is not made for the Avian Digestive system which is vastly different than a mammal and carnivore such as a cat.

Jadesmom

Real Name
Mary Ann
Cook them up some quinoa and mix in some veggies. You can freeze any extra and use as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.