• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

okay clarify please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
or at least maybe elaborate
I was reading the holistic website last night (can't view it at work for some reason its blocked). What i mainly gathered (with a first time reading) was that for non specialized canopy feeders - leafy greens and veggies are the stuff.
That grains are not necisarily easily digested and NOT that great as a "base" diet, and seeds are good - pellets are"ok" but not great in that they lack the big picture only focusing on mico and macro nutrients of a wider range of species.

Now that was my brief overview of the reading - i will re-read tonight for further comprehension.
I then was looking at the break down of veggies and fruits and some had the "acid " (the name escapes me real helpful im sure) that is not good and can cause problems, however most of the veggies that they have a "warning" on are the common easily found in organic.

Then the statement of "study your birds species and what they would eat in the wild ..." okay super except i am having MAJOR problems finding anything about my birds specifically.. help? Am i getting this right?

KiwiJo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joann
I feed Kiwi pellets since seeds have been found to lack nutritional value. Also, what birds eat in the wild isn't exactly what it good for them. They are like humans in that they like foods that are not necessarily the best for them. Veggies have the most nutritional value and if you can find them in the organic section, I'd try for that. Also, whatever bird food you buy should be geared towards your specific kind of parrot. Not just "bird food".

Hay Kay

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
thanks! i did know some of that. however harrisons and TOP aren't species profilied. But the holistic diets are moving further and further away from pellets (as birds certainly wouldn't encounter them in the wild) and that seeds - especially sprouted are a wonderfully nutricious living food.
I at the time feed only sprouted seeds, a blend of pellets, fresh salads in the am and cooked with more salad in the pm. But i would like to move twords more holistic if there is a strong backing for it. I don't see pellets leaving the picture but i do want to work with what was meant for them..

thanks for your input! I will certainly keep browsing for new and interesting organic veggies (i am always on the prowl this weekend we got organic spinach and romaine, grapes, apples, pears and a squash thing..lol)

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
For the holistic diet, they are supposed to get mostly leafy greens, some other veggies, a small amount of sprouted seeds/grains, a small ammount of fruits (especially berries), and very little nuts/other animal proteins. If at all possible, they should get all fresh food (and sprouted grains/seeds) and no dry. Since that is not possible for most, organic seeds, and TOPs pellets make up a good dry mix to go along with the fresh. I haven't done any research on conures specifically but I think they feed on a lot of vegetation and leaves in the wild.

thanks for your input! I will certainly keep browsing for new and interesting organic veggies (i am always on the prowl this weekend we got organic spinach and romaine, grapes, apples, pears and a squash thing..lol)
Remember to limit fruit (especially grapes), and darker green leafy veggies are very healthy, spinach is ok, but you should not feed too much of it ( Can't remember why something about it having too much iron) and romaine doesn't have the highest of nutrition (it's better than iceberg, but still not the best). I really like to feed parsley, collard greens, kale, and dandelion greens. Do you have a health food store near your house? You can get a larger selection of organic veggies there.
Here is a copy of the pyramid off of HolisticBirds.org .

Attachments

Last edited:

Hay Kay

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
thanks allison - your chart (and the link to the pyramids) got me started - i was hoping that i understood it correct - and from what you have stated i have - the pellet is a comfort net for me as i work 10 hour shifts and want them to have something in their cage they can get too. thanks a million!

Status
Not open for further replies.