• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ok the honeymoon is over

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
yep its over , I got my first 2 nips today from my new Senegal Pepper it wasn't bad at least he didn't draw blood but he decided he didn't want to be bothered a few times today o wel guess he is still setteling in

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you havent lived till youve been bitten at least a dozen times :laughing12:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Ouch, some of the worst bites I've received didn't draw blood. Good luck.

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money

Lex123

Ouch! Little birds can give a nasty bite!

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
ok 10 more bites to go lol he got me twice today and he drew blood both times , thoose little bites sure do hurt :(

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
When my dogs, or dogs at work nip to show disobedience, we just click em on the nose with a knuckle - not hard - just enough to bring them back out of the red zone, LOL Would this be acceptable for a parrot, along with a voice command like a stern No? (Obviously the stength of the nose knock wouldnt be violent! Just a tap.)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When my dogs, or dogs at work nip to show disobedience, we just click em on the nose with a knuckle - not hard - just enough to bring them back out of the red zone, LOL Would this be acceptable for a parrot, along with a voice command like a stern No? (Obviously the stength of the nose knock wouldnt be violent! Just a tap.)
No, Kim. Because of the nature of birds (prey animals, non-hierarchical relationships, etc), the best trainers try to use primarily (or exclusively) positive reinforcement. Check out The Parrot Problem Solver by Barbara Heidenreich for more on this. Using a technique like you describe with a bird would likely cause negative associations and trust issues. Most birds do not respond well to punishment, even if it is "mild." And, negative commands (like "no") don't often work all that well either, despite the near necessity of using them sometimes (although they do work better when they are specific, like "no bite"). Redirecting the bird's attention to a positive behavior for which it can be rewarded tends to produce better long-term results. So, tell a nippy bird "gentle," show him what you mean, and if he's gentle, give him a treat. It takes more effort, but the results are worth it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.