• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OK..I need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zunaira

Moving in
Real Name
Zunaira
I made my fids their parrot bread last night. I load it with all kinds of good stuff. It had lots and lots of veggies and a big sweet potato added in. Also some squash, beans, corn, peas, peppers, carrots, and about 3/4 pound of pellets. They get good good stuff, but don't even know it! And a grain mash might help with the protien needs. Quinoa, some brown rice, couscous... I also add some wheat pasta, and recently found quinoa pasta in the specialty aisle. ...Bob's Red Mill puts out a ton of organic grains that are good for the fids. Mine like the steel cut oats too. I cook them all up and add any veggie that sounds good and is fid safe. I'm sure there is a safe / unsafe food list here. If not, I can supply you with lots of info if you need it.

After reading your post, I gave her rice mixed with all the available vegetables. She ate only the vegetables but I guess this is also good sign that she is atleast eating them:rolleyes:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
After reading your post, I gave her rice mixed with all the available vegetables. She ate only the vegetables but I guess this is also good sign that she is atleast eating them:rolleyes:
That is good! If you can try to get veggies that are high in beta carotene and calcium that will be really good for her. Carrots, sweet potatoes, red, orange peppers, broccoli. Also different grains like quinoa, couscous, barley. Scrambled eggs are a favorite of my Grey too.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Welcome Zunaira...you are doing a great job. Any diet change is difficult but looks like your baby is at least trying the new things. I am sure we can get this sweet little one on the right track...and so glad you have that vet appt!!

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Glad that she is taking to eating the veggies :)

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Zunairi, I am so glad that Princess is trying new foods! It is going to be so much more healthier for her.
I will email you questions to ask the vet when you see him June 7th.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Just finished reading all of the posts! Great Job Zunaira on getting her to eat the veggies...at first you can cook them soft and mash them up with the water you cooked them in and try feeding with a spoon for her to get the taste of them...
What type of rice, legumes do you have where you live?
What type of green leafy veggie do you have also?
Reason I'm asking the ?'s is to find what veggies/etc have a high Vit. A content...
Veggies that have calcium and looking for Ogmas 3/6/9 (fish oils/flax seeds)
The Diet of the African Grey Parrots
don't remember if this site was posted or not but can help you also...
Looking forward to hearing more about Princess/you and your country!:hug8:

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Welcome AA. You have gotten a lot of very good advice.

I like Billie Faye would like to know what you have at your access such as green veggies, chicken, fish and grains?

Let us know how her vet visit goes.

harrisons

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jean
Thanks Dottie for the heads-up. The closest distributor to Pakistan is in Abu Dabi.. British Veterinary Centre UAE - Brit Vet
I'm not sure what their relationship is with Pakistan in regard to shipping etc. but I've found most of the distributors in the region to be very resourceful in regard to borders etc.

Zunaira

Moving in
Real Name
Zunaira
Just finished reading all of the posts! Great Job Zunaira on getting her to eat the veggies...at first you can cook them soft and mash them up with the water you cooked them in and try feeding with a spoon for her to get the taste of them...
What type of rice, legumes do you have where you live?
What type of green leafy veggie do you have also?
Reason I'm asking the ?'s is to find what veggies/etc have a high Vit. A content...
Veggies that have calcium and looking for Ogmas 3/6/9 (fish oils/flax seeds)
The Diet of the African Grey Parrots
don't remember if this site was posted or not but can help you also...
Looking forward to hearing more about Princess/you and your country!:hug8:
Hi there,
Thanks a lot for your reply and help. I was out of city that’s why couldn’t reply you before.
I am from Pakistan. She likes to eat either from my hand or on her own, I never used spoon for her. I gave her brown rice; otherwise I do have option of simple plain boiled rice.
Yes we do have legumes here, and I give her as well once in a week.
In green leafy veggies, I have Spinach available but she doesn’t like it.
I have checked the website and unfortunately most of the mentioned things are not available. But I am trying my best to do as much as I can for her.
One thing I wanted to ask, how oftenly I should give her egg with shell, on daily basis or once in a week?

Zunaira

Moving in
Real Name
Zunaira
Thanks Dottie for the heads-up. The closest distributor to Pakistan is in Abu Dabi.. British Veterinary Centre UAE - Brit Vet
I'm not sure what their relationship is with Pakistan in regard to shipping etc. but I've found most of the distributors in the region to be very resourceful in regard to borders etc.
Thanks I will check it out and then let you know about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.