• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ok I have a new problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgreenaway

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Yesterday I separated my lovebirds because one of them was acting a little aggressive towards the other one. I took the time and effort to acquire a double stack aviary style cage so they could each have their own space. My problem now is that all they do is pace back and forth in their own cages calling to each other and trying to find each other. I guess my debate now is: was it worth separating them because there was a chance one would get hurt and now I deal with them being lonely all day, or should I be less worried about the potential bite and have them happy being in the same cage. The one that is aggressive towards the other is also showing some signs of being unhappy with the separation as well which is also kind of confusing to me. Also in case you were wondering they are both male birds and the aggressive one is just reaching sexual maturity (he's 8 months old, almost 9 months). I would like some opinions about whether they should remain separated and just let out of their cages together or if its worth putting them back together. Since I just separated them yesterday how much longer should I wait before I can really tell if the separation will work out?

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Something that jumps out immediately to me is that the cages are stacked and they can't see each other. If the cages were side by side it would be just like one big cage with a safety barrier between them.

It also has only been one day.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I would give it some more time...change is really stressful on birds, but I would think for the safety of the birds, you did the right thing in separating them.

Ranyart

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
I agree with John, side by side would be better - they could at least see each other. Nice cages by the way. Good luck!

cgreenaway

Real Name
Claire
I was thinking the only problem with cages side by side is with those cages there is only one divider between them and they can still bite each others feet. I'm at school most of the day and can't be there if the aggressive one really badly bites the other ones' foot through the bars and I would be afraid of him bleeding to death before I get home. Thanks, the cage came from Cory who got them in Guelph.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
You can buy a piece of plexi glass and slide it in between the 2 sections to keep them from being able to bit at each other

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
I would just give it a chance. I agree, they should not be able to bite each other but it would be better to have them side by side but like itz said some plexi glass would work. But it’s good for them to see each other.

I would keep them separated. Boomer my GCC and Chiquita hate each other but still call out to each other.

cgreenaway

Real Name
Claire
Ok so the separation is going alright. They have started eating again and I let them out together and they seem alright. They still look for each other and call to each other but they are getting better. I'm still looking to get a cage thats side by side but that probably won't arrive until late March. For now everything seems alright but I'll keep an eye out for them. I'll definitely think about the plexi-glass idea for when I get the other cage. :)

Cory

Real Name
Cory
Ok so the separation is going alright. They have started eating again and I let them out together and they seem alright. They still look for each other and call to each other but they are getting better. I'm still looking to get a cage thats side by side but that probably won't arrive until late March. For now everything seems alright but I'll keep an eye out for them. I'll definitely think about the plexi-glass idea for when I get the other cage. :)
Glad to hear it's working out getter! :laughing12: :highfive:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I'm glad to hear that they seem to be adjusting. :)

cgreenaway

Real Name
Claire
Thanks. I'm very glad as well. As soon as they started eating again it made me feel a lot better and now their appetites are back to normal and they are getting used to the separating and they are acting better towards each other out of the cage too now. :) I'm very happy its working out this well.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
that is normal behavior , mine do it all the time when I Separate them and they are side by side So it doesn't matter if they can see each other or not. They usually calm down in a day or two. I do have a couple males who just don't care though which makes it nice the calling is only one sided so that helps with the loudness lol

but i know with mine, my cages are only 1/2 bar spacing and if i put 2 cages side by side and they touch They can still get their toes bit - from a bird in the other cage So i have to keep the cages apart so they can't get to each other

Status
Not open for further replies.