• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ok every body I had no idea Cape parrots where so dusty?

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
I guess I should of put it all together but didnt. I had no idea Cape parrots are dusty like African Greys. I noticed when the air in my house felt "heavy". The only new in my household is her. I ran out immediately and bought 2 lg Honeywell hepa's for family room where 3 of my birds live including her - one on either side of room as it is a fairly family room, another lg Honeywell Hepa for living room where my Amazon is, and a small honeywell hepa filter for upstairs hall way. The air doesnt begin to reach either of them. All that dust cant be good for any of us to breathe even her. Hopefully these filters help. Ariel is just perfect in my eyes even if she is a dustball lol

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
At least you are doing something preventive. My mother has nine cats and COPD. She just spent some time in the hospital after 3 visits to the ER not being able to breathe. I tried to explain to her and my daughter, who lives with her, that cat urine can cause and aggravate COPD. And at the least Mom should wear a surgical mask. It is so sad to see my mother let her house wreak of cat urine. She was so meticulous about our home when I was little. Honestly, she needs to find homes for at least 6 of those cats. They are all so obese their stomachs almost drag the ground. That cannot ne healthy for them either.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Bathing this bird will help,, especially a good drench in shower.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
At least you are doing something preventive. My mother has nine cats and COPD. She just spent some time in the hospital after 3 visits to the ER not being able to breathe. I tried to explain to her and my daughter, who lives with her, that cat urine can cause and aggravate COPD. And at the least Mom should wear a surgical mask. It is so sad to see my mother let her house wreak of cat urine. She was so meticulous about our home when I was little. Honestly, she needs to find homes for at least 6 of those cats. They are all so obese their stomachs almost drag the ground. That cannot ne healthy for them either.
Your definately between a rock and a hard place. Youve tried to help her see. It's all you can really do.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
This is a very good point! Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I hadn't thought of Cape parrots as dusting birds.

Now I am wondering about other pois.

I found this old thread, Are Meyers dusty birds? , my partner and I are planning on introducing a Meyer into our flock at some point in the future..so your post on the Cape made me curious.

Last edited:

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
This is a very good point! Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I hadn't thought of Cape parrots as dusting birds.

Now I am wondering about other pois.

I found this old thread, Are Meyers dusty birds? , my partner and I are planning on introducing a Meyer into our flock at some point in the future..so your post on the Cape made me curious.
In my experience, I've found the African Grey and Cape to be extra dusty. I birdsat a Senegal and I didnt notice dust, Ive had plenty of hands on with a Greater Jardines and didnt notice dust either. I dont have any hands on experience with Meyer's, in fact, Ive never seen one in person. Im sorry I am of no help about the Meyers.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Something I hadn't thought about.... jardines aren't considered to be dusty birds... but greys are. Where would a hybrid between the two fall under?

Kind of like a king parrot x lorikeet hybrid.... one eats seeds, the other eats nectar... what the heck would you feed a hybrid?

Odd things to ponder...

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Something I hadn't thought about.... jardines aren't considered to be dusty birds... but greys are. Where would a hybrid between the two fall under?

Kind of like a king parrot x lorikeet hybrid.... one eats seeds, the other eats nectar... what the heck would you feed a hybrid?

Odd things to ponder...
I agree.