• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Oh my gosh, Quinn (Cockatiel) just ate led pencil, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
AGH! I am freaking out so much. :sad5: Stupid me left a led pencil on my computer desk (last night) and forgot to put it back in my pencil case.

20 mins ago I had let Mishka and Quinn out of their cage and then I went out to the kitchen to get dinner — came back into my bedroom, and Quinn is sitting there on my computer desk eating the led pencil.. she snapped bits off at a time and this was a sharpened pencil, not blunt at all. I have no idea how much she literally ate, but there was only a tiny bit of dust left and half of the pencil led left.:darkcloud:

Will she be OK?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I do not know, but I would take her to a CAV. Maybe something like mineral oil would help it pass through quickly..not sure. I hope she will be ok. Sending lots of positive energy.:hug8:

igors mum

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
deb
i have heard that pencil lead isnt lead at all anymore its a mixture of graphite and clay and its nontoxic to humans.hope everything is ok.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That's true Deb!!

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
She will be fine - there's no lead in lead pencils, as Deb says it's a mixture of graphite and clay. The graphite should go through a bit like a laxative, so keep the liquids available and she'll be ok. :)

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks everyone, that puts a heap of weight off of my shoulders as well as a big relief. :hug8: I am paranoid, so I am going to sit up for longer tonight and keep an eye on her just in case.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
many prayers on the way...there are so very very few things with lead in them anymore these days....hope she will be ok!!!

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
many prayers on the way...there are so very very few things with lead in them anymore these days....hope she will be ok!!!
Except baby toys made in China... :rolleyes:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am glad it sounds like she will be ok.... why do they do these things that scare us like this??????

:hug8::hug8: Renae :hug8::hug8:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Praying that she will be alright. :hug8:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
praying she'll be alright- :hug8:

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Sending you and Quinn positive energy, and try to relax if Quinn knows you are upset about something she is going to know it and react accordingly.:hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Quinn will be fine. The ASPCA has a poison hot line for animals. It is an 800 number and free to call. If you call them they will tell you graphite is a form of carbon like activated charcoal and is nontoxic and is actually given medically to absorb poisons in the stomach. The clay used to hold the graphite is also nontoxic kaolin and is also given medically to treat diarrhea. Even colored pencils are made with nontoxic colors. This was required by the FDA to make sure children do not get poisoned by pencils. Federal law.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I know right, Dianne! I almost dropped my dinner last night. :o: Thanks for that information Lois.

I ended up falling asleep a bit before 4am and I was up again at 6:30am, I am so buggered, but it was worth it to keep an eye on her. She is fine though, she scoffed down veggies and sprouts this morning, she has been drinking, and they have been out of the cage for a few hours now. :)

Thanks again everyone. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.