• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oh my…

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
ohh the poor baby! Lost of tasty foods today

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Well then, this will be fun.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
OH NO!!!!!!!!!

Your little girl has molted into a boy.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I forgot to say that he is very handsome.

ChirpysMom

Meeting neighbors
Thank you :p
I certainly think he is! I can’t wait to see him with his big boy feathers! I swear I woke up to him like this. I can’t believe how fast that 5 o’clock shadow came in. :D

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What an adorable little mug! The transition is pretty striking.

IRN def can have crazy and fast molts. I feed my little one (he is a plumhead - similar to IRN) some hemp seed during a molt too, seems like you have the right idea!

In terms of kale, I may suggest transitioning him to a chard, I use silverbeet - in US English it is called Swiss chard. If you are cooking the kale it is another story, but raw it can be hazardous if eaten too often/ too much. You are trying to avoid is too much glucosinolate, a little isn't as much of a worry- but an everyday diet it can add up. Keep in mind that cooking the veggies denatures this. It is in Kale along with other plants in the cabbage family. I will post this article for your reference.

ChirpysMom

Meeting neighbors
I usually freeze the kale and I don’t feed any of the other cabbage family plants. I’m not sure if that is enough? I have been offering fresh just this week but I will switch to chard! They sell Swiss chard and rainbow chard nearby.
I make a veggie chop with tricolor quinoa and I added mung beans, red bulgur, and yellow split peas for the molting. He gets different spices on different days and a limited amount of blueberries. He has roudybush and Higgins available all the time and gets some fresh walnuts. Any suggestions are appreciated! He’s my first IRN.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I usually freeze the kale and I don’t feed any of the other cabbage family plants. I’m not sure if that is enough? I have been offering fresh just this week but I will switch to chard! They sell Swiss chard and rainbow chard nearby.
I make a veggie chop with tricolor quinoa and I added mung beans, red bulgur, and yellow split peas for the molting. He gets different spices on different days and a limited amount of blueberries. He has roudybush and Higgins available all the time and gets some fresh walnuts. Any suggestions are appreciated! He’s my first IRN.
It sounds like you are doing great! IRN are good eaters :) Some fruits options worth trying from time to time : mango, passion and dragon fruit - in a similar manner to your blueberries, "limited". -Lucky little birdo to be well loved and rewarded. I look forward to seeing his progress.

ChirpysMom

Meeting neighbors
He LOVES mango! Mango, sweet peppers, and corn are his favorite foods. He gets sweet peppers all the time, if corn is included in his chop that’s all he will eat. I will see what fruits I can find! I’m in a very rural area so things I buy come from quite a distance! I’ve read that dragonfruit grows well in my area as well. I’m planning a birdy garden. :roflmao:
I can’t wait to see his “man-feathers” lol