• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oh man! I had my first scare with Dink last night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
I went to Dink's cage at about 3pm and noticed blood on his tail feathers. It was just a tiny bit but I wanted to know where it came from so I decided to catch him and see. I caught him and looked him over really well but couldn't see anything. So I took a warm wash cloth and wiped away the blood and put him back in his cage. I thought maybe Tessa had niped him or something. I have heard of lovebirds having "quarrels" when a hen is sitting on eggs. Well I went back at 5 to change water and feed my lovies, and I saw Dink on his perch with his mouth wide open and twitching around. He then turned around and there was blood all over his back. He started biting at his tail and it looked like he was yawning. I didn't know if Tessa had bit him or if he was mutilating all I knew was he was bleeding. It was after 5 and my vet was closed. I took him to the After hours emergency vet but guess what they don't treat birds. THANKFULLY They were able to contact a vet here in town that did treat birds so off I went. Come to find out he was bleeding from a broken "pin" feather or blood feather. Dink had tried to pull it out but he just broke it off shorter. After the vet pulled it he stopped bleeding and was fine. The vet raises cockatiels and she said that her birds have night fright or something like that so he may have just flown in to something out of panic. I have Dink in Tessa in a HUGE cage. it's 4 1/2 ft tall and 4ft wide so they have a lot of room to fly about. I place a night light with them and so far so good but I was so worried! He's mad at me but I think he will come around again. ;)
Just wanted to share!

Attachments

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
so glad Dink is fine! Broken blood feathers are so scary! We had to pull one out last year at home by ourselves:eek: with the vet on the phone guiding us. She said we had no time to lose.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Dink is so handsome, glad you were so observant and all is well!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I know how scary they are first hand...so glad Dirk is ok!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
aww poor little Dink glad he is a ok now....poor tykey...

Status
Not open for further replies.