• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oh Finch Me....

QuakerCraz

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
So, I just acquired a pair of female Gouldian Finches. They are so beautiful and I love their chirping. I'm going to be getting a male companion for them if I can find one. I know they're hard to find. I've always wanted a couple finches just because they're cute, small and have such soothing songs. Zebra finches are definitely on my favorites list. Them and their little beeps.

But yeah. I have finches now. Hopefully I can find a male for them.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Pictures? :)

Lady Gouldian finches are my favorite. So beautiful.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I don't have any pictures yet but I'll get some later. They're flighty little bumble bees.

They are indeed beautiful little birds. I love the males with the vibrant purple chests. And their mating dance is so cute.

I'm currently trying to locate the best place to get the last couple of things I need. Just need egg food and thinking about getting some dried mealworms as occasional treats. Though I breed mealworms and thought maybe I could chop up a couple live ones instead.

I am thinking of names for them. I have a couple in mind but I'll decide on what fits them the best.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! Finches are really cute.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I think I'm going to name the red head one Ruby and the black head one Onyx. I hope to find one of the vibrant purple chested males so I can name him Prince(if you know, you know)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you tell us a general area in which you live (state/province), someone may know of a breeder.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
I do have someone that will help me find one. He's a co-owner of a mom-n-pop pet shop and a good friend of mine. I'd like to take one in that's a rehome instead of get one from a breeder but if I can't find one that's a rehome, I might have to go the breeder route. I live in North Texas/Texoma area. I'm not in the biggest hurry to find a male as the pet shop is currently in the process of being revamped. Plus I'll likely be taking a part-time job there which is exciting.

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
UPDATE: I found a reputable source to find a male Gouldian Finch that's within my preferred area. I may be bringing home one possibly this week if they have what I'm looking for for a reasonable cost. I'm contacting them when they're open next to get any info.

If I bring one home, I'll quarantine the bird for a week or so away from my other birds(since this bird is coming in from a place I've never been to, I'm quarantining the bird as a precaution as well as to let the bird adjust to the new sounds of my house). I have a small cage to house him in for a short period. I'll set the cage next to the one with the girls in it for a day or two to let them see each other and sing to each other so they they can get acquainted a bit before I put them together.

I hope I can get this bird.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
A week isn’t Long enough:

QuakerCraz

Real Name
Tricia AKA Kitti
The spare cage I have is way too small to keep a bird in for longer than a week. The place I'm planning to get this guy from is highly reputable as they hand raise tons of birds of many species(including a tucan) so I trust them as a source. I'm primarily quarantining the bird as a means to let him adjust to his new surroundings and getting used to new food before being introduced to his girls.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I hope nothing bad happens. Germs and mites don’t stop just because of trust.